Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

bluejay75

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay

I made much the same choice as you, more recently. I decided that .308 is my "big gun," and for everything I do, it works wonderfully. Inside 600yd it will absolutely get the job done, and I would not hesitate to tote a .308 anywhere on the continent, after anything that walks it.

If I were an Alaskan hunter, or chased game like Moose and Grizzly, I am sure my opinion would be different...but at my age and station, even a Western Elk is looking more and more like a pipe dream.

Does do all include elk and bear? You may get different response if that is the case.

For deer out to 600, sure thing. Bear and elk inside 200, not the first pick for many, but I think you'd have success if you load with heavies. I wouldn't shoot bear or elk at 600 with a 308, however. 308 may not be the best at everything, but it does everything well. Bullet selection in 308 is unparalleled.

Absolutely, everything but a grizz.
I've shot two with a .308...but not anywhere near 600 yards.

I know we don't talk ethics here but getting a good hit on an animal in field conditions past 600 would take above average conditions reading. Looking at my 175 data, it appears to fall below 600 ft/lbs at about 700 which a lot of folks use as a measure of lethality on big game.

So yeah, inside 600 I'd do it.

I have probably shot 1,000's of 168 .308 bullets at paper targets at 600 yards. It did just fine. With my self imposed limit of 400 yards for hunting deers and such the .308 would continue to do just fine. If I had to shoot an elk I would be real careful where I hit and use some bullet that would go deep inside the elk's body. Bears really scare me and I would want something bigger.

I've shot two with a .308...but not anywhere near 600 yards.

I know we don't talk ethics here but getting a good hit on an animal in field conditions past 600 would take above average conditions reading. Looking at my 175 data, it appears to fall below 600 ft/lbs at about 700 which a lot of folks use as a measure of lethality on big game.

So yeah, inside 600 I'd do it.

Yeah my grizzly statement I guess is more a personal statement then fact. The .308 is underrated nowadays imo. Still a great cartridge.

Recent Posts