Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

If you ran the same bullet and leaned on that brass as much as he is, the 300wm would completely outclass it. As anyone would expect.
But of course

I wouldn't run the same bullet in a .300WM, I jump right up to the 190gr Mk as good as the 175gr is, in that matchup 190Mk just walks away with ease. Just making conversation... Cheers
What you are describing with the 190SMK in the .300 WinMag is our MK248 Mod 0 ammunition. It has been standard issue for many years now and and quite frankly a very outdated bullet and one of the last I'd pick for pretty much anything.

I always love 2.5 year old threads getting pumped back up!

We can and do, often……resurrect the dead! memtb
What, you don't like to see progress? We can either continue to beat the same proverbial dead horse now or the next guy's later. Either way the outcome is the same, the answer to the OP is still yes.😂

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay

I know most of not all of you have a 308 so what optics do you recommend? I want to be able to shoot band the target at 1K but making an ethical kill shot at ~600 would be more my style. This custom 308 has a 20" barrel and is a perfect companion in my Honda P1K5 so the optics need to be stout for the bumps and bruises of riding with me. Any recommendations on optics would be appreciated

I know most of not all of you have a 308 so what optics do you recommend? I want to be able to shoot band the target at 1K but making an ethical kill shot at ~600 would be more my style. This custom 308 has a 20" barrel and is a perfect companion in my Honda P1K5 so the optics need to be stout for the bumps and bruises of riding with me. Any recommendations on optics would be appreciated

My NXSs have taken unintended beatings, they still keep on performing.

This is probably the best deal on a scope I've seen on here for a while (I have no affiliation with the seller):

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/leica-magnus.338194/#post-2905079

That one is non-illuminated, but you won't find a better hunting scope on earth. My 16" custom 308 will have one soon, and it will be bouncing in the gator from october to january.

Wow! This thread is still going. Very few of us only have one rifle. There will always be a spot in my safe for the 308win. The proverbial easy button for hunting in the lower 48. I'm thankful that I am not forced to have only one option.

Given a good barrel & good bullets to fit barrel twist I have never seen a .308 that did not produce extremely good accuracy - like 5 in same hole at 100. Hot fly weight barrels excluded.

Recent Posts