Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

A 600 yd shot. Should you? Then would you? But then, could you? The GunData.org site show a 150 grn bullets drops 56" at 500 yds,
Putting a bullet in a vital zone for a clean kill would be a challenge for most hunters, but having the rifle zeroed at 300 yds would help. You'd need a very steady rest and not be winded from climbing over rocks and rough terrain to get as close as possible. If you know your game, your scope, rifle and your bullet trajectory and windage, it's very possible to pull it off. It gets down to a judgement call in my opinion.

A 600 yd shot. Should you? Then would you? But then, could you? The GunData.org site show a 150 grn bullets drops 56" at 500 yds,
Putting a bullet in a vital zone for a clean kill would be a challenge for most hunters, but having the rifle zeroed at 300 yds would help. You'd need a very steady rest and not be winded from climbing over rocks and rough terrain to get as close as possible. If you know your game, your scope, rifle and your bullet trajectory and windage, it's very possible to pull it off. It gets down to a judgement call in my opinion.

Here is the 150 BD2 drop based on the velocity and stated BC. I have not confirmed the drop. Velocity I have.

Screenshot_20230822_123043_Shooter.jpg

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
As long as your hunting in the lower 48, yes, a .308win will work.

We (Army Snipers) still use a 175 grain Sierra Matchking at under 2600 fps. Not the best performance from a .308, that is the kind of loads you're thinking about. Load the best bullets with optimum powders and it is not the same, becomes a different animal. bamban's .308 has better ballistics than our M2010 .300 Wimags did, and remember his barrel is only 18". Now most long range hunters wouldn't hesitate to question the capable of killing deer/elk at 600 yards with the WinMag.

The .308 is my true love for decades. I include three AR10s, bb single shot x 2, long range rail, Scout and 5 other bolts, but confess I use a 300WM for some NA hunts. Of course some 7mm, 30/06, 30/30, 243, 6.5, 44, 45, and other usual stuff, but
308 is what I grab for 95% of hunting and have done so for 4 decades.