Boots for sheep hunt

Check out Oboz for a good light hiker with a fairly stiff midsole. I prefer a lighter boot, for me they are much easier to navigate tough terrain. I live in Co and work outdoors year round and always wear an uninsulated goretex lite hikerm

Couple things guys:

I know I said I normally like a 6" boot, but I figure I'd go to an 8" if posssible for these. I know I probably need a better boot than most 6" boots can be.

Second: for mid August in Alaska or maybe even Canada, should I go with an insulated boot?
Seems there will be enough walking that I may not need it. My feet get and stay pretty hot unless I'm sitting for several hours in 32* or lower weather.

I've been on quite a few sheep and goat hunts in Alaska and never used gators. They are just one more item to take up space and weight in a pack....it adds up! You will definitely need good raingear so no need for rain pants plus gators!

We brought waders along on one trip where we knew we had a deep creek crossing right at camp. Your guide should be able to let you know if waders or other gear is necessary for the particular area you'll be hunting. I forgot the name of them but a company makes knee-high water-proof light weight booties that some guys use for deep creek crossings. Trekking poles also help A LOT for those fast running glacial creek crossings!

In regard to insulated boots. I NEVER buy insulated boots and I work year-round out in the field during the winter in Colo. I buy boots that are around 1 size larger. This allows me to cinch up boots tight with thinner socks during the summer and letting out the laces when using a little heavier insulated socks during the winter.

I gut the insoles that come with the boots and add a new insole that offers a little more padding (which is important if hiking on rock all day). Buying 1 size larger allows added volume for thicker insoles. All of my socks for sheep/goat hunting have additional padding in the sole area. Some of the Thorlo socks are thin but still offer more padding on the bottoms.

I have used light hikers, trail runners, backpacking, and mountaineering boots. There is no comparison when you are on a steep hill which footwear works the best. Having a sole that is stiff enough to not flex if you can get 1/4" of it on a ledge makes a huge difference. Also while guiding sheep hunters I have seen different brands fall apart before the 10 day hunt was over. They were popular brands and probably good for 90% of hunting. But not good enough for side hilling all day and walking through scree and cliffs.

The best thing you can do would be to go to an REI and try on boots there. They have a huge selection of boots to try on.

I would't worry about getting insulated boots.

I also didn't use gaiters. I use them occasionally on different hunts but they aren't something I would personally take on a sheep hunt.

The boots that didn't fall apart on a sheep hunt had a rubber rand going around them. Also the least amount of stitching on the boot the better so that the rocks and scree don't cut it.

In regard to insulated boots. I NEVER buy insulated boots and I work year-round out in the field during the winter in Colo. I buy boots that are around 1 size larger. This allows me to cinch up boots tight with thinner socks during the summer and letting out the laces when using a little heavier insulated socks during the winter.

I gut the insoles that come with the boots and add a new insole that offers a little more padding (which is important if hiking on rock all day). Buying 1 size larger allows added volume for thicker insoles. All of my socks for sheep/goat hunting have additional padding in the sole area. Some of the Thorlo socks are thin but still offer more padding on the bottoms.

Could you please make some suggestions on brand and type of insoles to add???

I've settled on the Crispi's and bought two pair. Boots are SO subjective. What works great for one foot, doesn't work at all for the next.

I've settled on the Crispi's and bought two pair. Boots are SO subjective. What works great for one foot, doesn't work at all for the next.

I know. This is killing me. Can't decide which to try.
My biggest problem is I don't live anywhere close to a place to go try them on and see them first hand.

Fit and comfort are super important! What works for me likely won't work for your particular feet! The same thing is true with insoles. I've tried Superfeet and they make my feet hurt BAD! My particular feet need padding and none of the Superfeet offer this. I've had a lot better luck with $30 super padded insoles I pick up at Sportsman's Warehouse. It may be worth a long drive to a store to try out boots, insoles, and socks. If not it may be a matter of trial and error? Knowing if your particular feet work best for high arches, padding, narrow vs wide, lots of ankle support, etc is a starting point.

What are th
Fit and comfort are super important! What works for me likely won't work for your particular feet! The same thing is true with insoles. I've tried Superfeet and they make my feet hurt BAD! My particular feet need padding and none of the Superfeet offer this. I've had a lot better luck with $30 super padded insoles I pick up at Sportsman's Warehouse. It may be worth a long drive to a store to try out boots, insoles, and socks. If not it may be a matter of trial and error? Knowing if your particular feet work best for high arches, padding, narrow vs wide, lots of ankle support, etc is a starting point.

Which insoles do you use?

Lowa. Been in Lowa for 10 years. I had a job with 14 other men. Our employer allowed us to order any brand. Salomon, 511, Under Armor fell apart in a few months. Lowa held up for a year plus. I saw 2 warranty claims out of dozens of pairs of Lowa in those 10 years. I'm now retired and still wear Lowa.
I also have a pair of the Kuiu boots and recommend them as well.

Call your outfitter, ask him what his guides are wearing. They have to be in their boots for a month (+) straight. see if you can order 1 pair of 3-5 different options, try them in your house for a few days, return everything but the pair that feels the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.