Boots for sheep hunt

RemHutch50

ive been reading all about what boots that are available with lots of recommendations. But I have a question that doesn't seem to be discussed.

What height boot should I look at for a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska?

I will say that I prefer a 6" boot for normal everyday wearing or hunting for whatever here in Oklahoma. I'd prefer short and light as possible, but I'll go taller if that is the consensus.

Thanks guys.

This year I'll be wearing Lowa EVO Hunter extreme 10" with 200 gr insulation and gaiters. I've had these for 3 years and I feel very comfortable in any terrain or conditions while carrying heavy loads. I'm currently breaking in a new pair. The older ones could use re soled after many many miles.

I've been on 2 sheep and 3 mtn goat hunts in Alaska. I've also been on a dozen mtn goat and 4 sheep hunts in Colo. My preference is lighter and more freedom of movement with mid wt/ht hikers. There is plenty of ankle support and the soles are thick enough to protect my feet on super steep, rocky terrain. I add extra padding by replacing the insoles and wearing socks with more padding in the soles and lace areas.

I've never needed gators....even sliding down shale slopes. Just wear pants that are long and you should be ok. It hasn't snowed much on any of my sheep hunts. I work in Colo through the winter and have never needed insulated boots. I buy my boots around 1/2 to 1 size larger so I can added extra padded insoles and also un-cinch the laces if I want to wear socks with a little thicker/warmer socks.

My boots of choice are Lowa Vantage and Caminos. I really liked Scarpa Kailach but they were a little narrow for my feet. I have a higher, stiffer pair of Lowa Tibets that are super nice but are too heavy and stiff. If you need additional ankle support I would recommend Tibets.

I've been on 2 sheep and 3 mtn goat hunts in Alaska. I've also been on a dozen mtn goat and 4 sheep hunts in Colo. My preference is lighter and more freedom of movement with mid wt/ht hikers. There is plenty of ankle support and the soles are thick enough to protect my feet on super steep, rocky terrain. I add extra padding by replacing the insoles and wearing socks with more padding in the soles and lace areas.

I've never needed gators....even sliding down shale slopes. Just wear pants that are long and you should be ok. It hasn't snowed much on any of my sheep hunts. I work in Colo through the winter and have never needed insulated boots. I buy my boots around 1/2 to 1 size larger so I can added extra padded insoles and also un-cinch the laces if I want to wear socks with a little thicker/warmer socks.

My boots of choice are Lowa Vantage and Caminos. I really liked Scarpa Kailach but they were a little narrow for my feet. I have a higher, stiffer pair of Lowa Tibets that are super nice but are too heavy and stiff. If you need additional ankle support I would recommend Tibets.

I'm so happy to see this. I will check those out for sure.

One issue I have is I would rather go to a store and try a boot on and see if I like it first. But where I live it's impossible because there are no places nearby.

I would say gaiters are absolutely necessary. Kind of one of those "you don't need them until you need them" kind of things. Use 6" boots and gaiters and you can cross a creek that is almost knee deep

Really??? I had no idea that the gaiters would give that much protection. Especially for a wading situation.
Thanks for that info.

I've never met someone that wanted to stick with a light weight boot after having found a pair of WELL FITTING stiff boots, and these are guys that swore their Salomon 4D GTX's were the best things ever. Side hilling with a heavy pack in steep country is killer on a foot if you don't have a good boot. A stiff sole also makes micro spikes a lot more comfortable to wear if you need to throw them on.

Height is personal preference, I preferred 6" until I tried a 10", and now I won't wear a 6" ever again. The extra support and lower leg protection that the taller boot provides is a big advantage, for me at least. The taller height did take some getting used to, and felt a lot better after the boot was broken in and the boot upper had molded to my ankle/shin area. You can also cross some pretty deep water with a 10" boot and no gaiter.

Gaiters can also be good for protecting your pants below the knees as well. I had quite a bit of wear this season in my Sitka Timberline pants from nothing other than busting through low brush.

dont Play around in a river that's 16" deep. But get used to the good support of a 10" boot and a good gaiter and you will not worry about wet grass, snow, shallow river crossings, etc. I'm sure a light hiker is nice if the terrain allows it. But a good 10" boot and a great gaiter makes you ready for every situation. Get used to them and you will never go back

Hanwag Trapper Top have been my go to sheep hunting boots last few years. I really like these boots very durable very tall boot good ankle support.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts