Best Mountain Rifle Scopes - your choice?

Litehiker

Recently I bought a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro (6 lbs. 3 oz.) for hunting mountainous Nevada.

After an extensive search and looking at affordability (MARCH scopes were too pricey) I bought a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with illuminated G3 reticle
It weighs 27 oz. and is 14 1/2" long (kinda long but in the lighter weight range.

THEN Nightforce comes out with the new NX8 2.5 - 20 x 50 at 28.3 oz. and 12" long. That's 2 1/2 " shorter than my LRTS.

Would I have bought the NX8 scope had it been out in time? YEP, even at around $900., more street price.

Ain't it always the case? Ya buy a shiny new item and a few months later something better comes out. Ah well, I'm very satisfied with the performance of my new LRTS and will keep it. BTW, I "needed" FFP, mil/mil & lighted reticle. Many scope that would otherwise be fine like Leupold VX6 don't cut it on one or more of those "needs".

So what's your mountain rifle scope choice?

Eric B.

Last edited:
After shooting today for the first time behind my new tangent theta 315m, I will not be hunting without this scope!
I TOLD YOU!

I would look for a top tier USED scope before buying a new mid-range scope. Saving $800-1000+ is very common. Putting higher end scopes in your price range.

All my scopes are FFP.
So my choices for a "light(ish)" shorter scope would be:
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50
S&B PMII 3-20×50US
S&B PMII 5-20×50US
March F 3-24×52
Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18×50
Leupold Mark 6HD 3-18×50

Last edited:
Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42 16oz. Might have ended up with a Swaro 3.5-18 if the turrets matched the reticle.

Saving for a March 3-24x52, but may have to acquire a new ultralight rifle to go with it. Over the years I found a rifle over 7-3/4lbs clumsy for me to carry all day. Under 7lb 4oz is tricky to shoot well... Been caught a couple of times with a rifle on my back - much prefer to have it in my hand(s). Makes an alright walking stick too (river crossings excepted).

Last edited:
MY REQUIREMENTS FOR A MOUNTAIN RIFLE SCOPE:
1. First Focal Plane-> A must for using my LRF binoculars with ballistic library and hold-over readout in mils (MOA available with press of a button)
2. Mil/Mil turrets and reticle
3. 28 oz or less if at all possible
4. lighted reticle-> needed for dark backgrounds
5. good glass but ED not required
6. zero stop elevation turret and locking windage turret
7. reliable company with reliable warranty

So Rich Coyle may love SFP but it ain't for me for reason #1. I ain't gonna take the time to crank a scope to its highest setting. And "half power" with an estimated hold doesn't cut it.

Eric B.

I would think the new nightforce nx8 would be a good choice. My nx8 4-32 will be here tomorrow

I TOLD YOU!

All my scopes are FFP.
So my choices for a "light(ish)" shorter scope would be:
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50
S&B PMII 3-20×50US
S&B PMII 5-20×50US
March F 3-24×52
Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18×50
Leupold Mark 6HD 3-18×50

You have a better Job than me... LOL

I really love my Bushnell LRHS's I own 5 of them and for the price point per performance--I think they are great, they mount low--and are passable for optical quality.

I do have others
SB PMII 3x20--on the portly side for my hunting rigs...setting on my PRS 6BR right now...

Bushnell DMRII 3.5x21--just waiting for a new home on a rifle...

Swarovski Z5s BT 3.5x18--have one mounted on my mountain rifle (7SAUM)..love he weight of these scope..the other setting dormant.

Swarovski X5 5x25--setting dormant right now

Always wanted to try a March as I liked the low elevation turret and capped windage--just never got a chance to get one..

I would say you were right on with the Bushnell...great scope, good price, lots of features.

Scopes have changed and new scopes of all sizes and price are available now. In 2004 when I put my mountain rifle together I spent a little time to come up with a lite scope that would fill my needs. I settled on a Leopold VXIII series 2.5X8X36. I would have liked a larger objective lens, But that would have made the objective Bell wider than the stock of a slim mountain rifle. When in high county I would rather the stock take a hit, Than the Objective bell and lens of a larger scope. With this scope, Mounts and 4 rounds of Ammo, A Kimber Montana 300WSM weighs 7 1/4 lb. " Old Man Rifle"

Currently really liking my lightweight rifle with a leupold vx6 HD 3-18x50. I have a sightron s-tac 4-20x50 that is not too far behind on weight but the leuy is a really quite decent. My primary long range rifle has a nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56, but it's a beefy scope.

I've always picked clarity over the power which means how the particular scope(s) are seen through by the user's eye which differs from user to user, hence one shooter will say, he has the best while another shooter will say; he is the best, when actually they are both have the best for their optical need matching their particular vision problems or lack of it'..., to the glass of the scope, kinda like going in for new pair of glasses. So, much of the scope discussions turn out to be a roundabout conversation, in the end. Never the less fun, the bottom line for me, clarity out trumps everything so I shoot what I shoot for just that reason. Just my 0.02

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.