Your Picks of the Absolute BEST L.R. scopes

Litehiker

I'll just throw out my opinion and say they need to be minimum of 24 power - 30x would be better.

MY TOP PICKS: (no particular order except the S&B)

-> S&B PM II 5 - 25 x 56

-> Nightforce ATACR 7 - 35 x 56

-> Vortex AMG 6 - 24

-> Leupold Mark 8 3.4 - 25 x 56

-> SIG Tango6 5 - 30 x 56 (Has internal reticle mounted, lighted digital level!)

Eric B.

P.S. Since I like my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 so much I'll have to say the XRS 4.5 - 30 x 50 is a very good buy but not quite in the category of the above scopes in terms of overall quality. If you can't afford the scopes above look at the Bushy XRS. My shooting buddy loves his with the H59 reticle on his 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle.

I really like my PMII, but will be getting a Nightforce for my next long range gun (and probably the rest as well) due to their lifetime warranty. After using a mate's ATACR and BEAST, I'll be chasing a 4-14x42, and either a 5-25x or 7-35x, all with the Mil-C reticle.

LRHAUSSIE,

In the latest edition of "SNIPER" magazine Tom Beckstrand (former SF sniper) rated the Nightforce ATACR 7 - 35 x 56 his ideal long range scope.

This is a man that already has the S&B PM II so if he likes the new N.F. ATACR it must be **** good. Tom is extremely well versed on how to test scopes and he has put this scope through most of them.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I have 2 Nightforce ATACR's. There may be better, but I'll have to significantly improve all aspects of my game to need, or know it.

Atacr just about answered all the needs for me.

I also have a gen ii rzr that I really like but its practically a dumbbell!

LRHAUSSIE,

In the latest edition of "SNIPER" magazine Tom Beckstrand (former SF sniper) rated the Nightforce ATACR 7 - 35 x 56 his ideal long range scope.

This is a man that already has the S&B PM II so if he likes the new N.F. ATACR it must be **** good. Tom is extremely well versed on how to test scopes and he has put this scope through most of them.

Eric B.

I'll have to take a look at this, thanks for the info

Sadly i cant afford any of the scopes listed so far ! I will have to stick to my cheapo made in japan 24x 40 x and 50 x variable scopes.....

Based on on the scopes I've have actually owned or tried with a power minimum of 24x, it would be my March 5x25x52 for long range hunting, and my ATACR for ELR and the PRS games. IMO, several of the scopes mentioned are very impressive, but are too big and heavy for my LRH hunting needs. The exception could be the Vortex AMG, which may prove to be an effective hybrid but I haven't gotten my hands on one as of yet. My March comes very close with its light weight and exceptional glass.

Hello,

Well my personal preferences in regards to "Best" long range scopes are the following:

FIRST PLACE (By a long ways) is the Hensoldt 3.5-26x56
Second Place is going to be the S&B 3-27x56 PM II High Power Digital BT
Third Place is the S&B 5-25x56 PM II
Forth Place is the Nightforce BEAST 5-25x56 F1
Fifth Place would be the USO SN9

Everything else falls into the "not for me" category and I have pretty much had and/or tested them all....March, Vortex, Steiner, IOR, Premier reticles, etc etc

THEIS

THEIS,

Judas Priest! The Hensoldt retails at $6.999. Eurooptics will knock a few hundred off if you order online. IT cancome with an H59 reticle,shich is a blessing.

Both the S&B and the Hensoldt use SCHOTT ED glass so the Hensoldt must get the "better" optics with one of more of the following:
1. more lenses
2. better coatings
3. better turrets

But, Mon Deu!, is it really worth $4,800. more than an S&B PM II??
I'd love to see Cal of "Precision Rifle Blog" do his extensive tests and compare the two.

Eric B.

Hello Eric,

Not all SCHOTT ED glass is the SAME, so just because a company uses it and another company uses it does not mean the glass is the same. Different optics manufacturers use SCHOTT ED glass but not all have the same time involved in polishing and not all have the polishing equipment that allows perfection to the lens edges due the their holding fixtures.

BUT yes to me and the International governments I deal with the "other" features on your list are better too :)

Cal has tested the Hensoldt but he does so with precision rifle series as the "gauge" of what is important to the shooter and on what scale it is important to the shooter.

Just search the list of countries in the ATLAS NETWORK and look at their long range scope of choice :)

BUT I will also be the first to say that if putting holes in paper is the "Goal" of the optics needed then the Hensoldt is not going to suit you any better than the S&B.

THEIS

THEIS,

Judas Priest! The Hensoldt retails at $6.999. Eurooptics will knock a few hundred off if you order online. IT cancome with an H59 reticle,shich is a blessing.

Both the S&B and the Hensoldt use SCHOTT ED glass so the Hensoldt must get the "better" optics with one of more of the following:
1. more lenses
2. better coatings
3. better turrets

But, Mon Deu!, is it really worth $4,800. more than an S&B PM II??
I'd love to see Cal of "Precision Rifle Blog" do his extensive tests and compare the two.

Eric B.

$7,000 OMG i didnt know it was possible, well i sure am glad my p-dogs @ 600 yards havent noticed the difference between my 100.00 (25 years ago ) dollar scope and that 7000 dollar scope .... at least none of them has had the guts to tell me anyway !

PRS matches and Military Sniper operations are not hunting. Several manufacturers offer quality scopes for several shooting requirements.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.