• Rock Creek

Votes: 17 5.7%
  • Shaw

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Shilen

Votes: 13 4.4%

• Total voters
Ok sarge i will bite...

You have a krieger or bartlien that will not shoot as good as a remmy?

Ok sarge i will bite...

You have a krieger or bartlien that will not shoot as good as a remmy?
Did not say that at all. I said i have one that shoots very good and one does not.
Both of the 308's shoot very well. It is my belief that a trued action with a Remington barrel would hold it's own with a custom barrel and trued action. I am not saying Remington has a better barrel than the custom barrels. I am stating that the last 2 Rem. Rifles i bought shoot very well for a factory rifle. The last time i shot the new one it gave me a 5 shot center to center .792" @ 300 yds with 168 gr. Bergers.
I think anyone would agree with me that this is very good for a stock Rem. or stock anything. Don't get me wrong i am not beating up Kreiger or Bartlein. Their barrels speak for themselves in most applications. You cannot argue with their match records. As i stated earlier, "It is what you like" that makes a difference.
Thanks, ..... SEMPER FI ....... SARGESNIPER

OP I don't have extensive experience. 2 Lilja bbls and 1 PacNor.

Just finished cleaning the PacNor, 375 AM, for the third time. ~75 rounds total, about 25 between cleanings.

Hanging around 0.33 MOA to 1127 yards.

Zip point nata copper on third cleaning.

Though the Lilja bbls are as accurate they don't clean up like this pac nor. Sure a time saver.

I have Pac-Nor, Krieger, Bartlien, CBI and Benchmark.

I would have a Pac-Nor over all others but.....

Any one of them will do what any shooter could ask as long as the smith finishing and installing does his part.

Oh and I really want to try a Proof Research.

Just finished cleaning the PacNor, 375 AM, for the third time. ~75 rounds total, about 25 between cleanings.

Though the Lilja bbls are as accurate they don't clean up like this pac nor. Sure a time saver.

Roy, each of my Broughton's are a little different when it comes to fouling and cleaning. The 300 RUM is the best. Scrub it with BTE and let it soak about 30 min then run maybe 3 or 4 wet patches through it and it's pretty much clean. I'll scrub and soak again, but follow on patches show almost no color. The 6-284 is next best followed by the 6.5 WSM which i would describe as a moderate fouler. Still easy to clean though - easier than any of my factory barrels except the Vanguard 223.

I wonder how much of that is from the throat reamer.

Last edited:
Here is some good info ....... the quote below is from here ...... Benchmark Barrels | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

"Best Rifle Barrel - What The Pros Use"

"This post is about the rifle barrels the best precision rifle shooters are using. It is based on what the top 50 long-range shooters nationwide brought with them to the Precision Rifle Series (PRS) Finale a couple weeks ago. These are tactical/practical style matches with target engagements ranging from 25 to 1,200+ yards, but there is definitely a focus on the "precision" rifle part regardless of the range. For more info on who these guys are, and why you should care what they think scroll to the bottom of this article."

Roy,

My 30" 1:8" 3-groove Lilja .270 Ai cleans very well and no copper fouling.

Only custom barrel I have is a Krieger and I am very happy with it. 7mm rem mag / trued 700 action. This rifle will shoot factory ammo at .6-.75 MOA at 200 yards routinely. I shoot hand loads at .4 MOA at 600 yards under calm conditions.

Can't say it is better than others, but I am very happy with my setup.

Oh no i cant vote for just one "best".
Head explode!

I think you have tiers of barrels.

1. Top tier

2. Good

3. Bargain

4. Factory stuff

Its so hard :/

I'm finding this poll very interesting, it's starting to match up with what you see when you look at Benchrest comp build sheets. Kreiger, Brux and Bartlein come up like clock work!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.