Best Custom Barrels...

Regarding the Proof Research barrels. I had a chance to develop loads for three of their barrels. Two rifles were Proof Researcy customs, a 300 RUM and a 6.5 Creedmore. Third rifle was a custom made by Western Precision in 300 RUM. All three barrels were accurate and finding a load was easy. In addition to that the barrels cleaned up quickly.

I have bought Krieger, Benchmark, Shilen select match, and Pac Nor super match this year and will hunt with them [I have 5 tags].

I can't tell the difference between premium barrels..... Shilen cuts easier in the lathe... but I mean at the range, they are all the same in my hunting rifles.

I know there's several different options.
I've had a few Bartleins over the years, but have been told they're typically a little "slower" than others.
I know Brux is another incredible option, but have never owned one.
I've heard Lilja and Rock Creek make some pretty sweet barrels too.

So, who makes the most accurate/fastest barrel out there right now?

Brux,Rock Creek,Rocky Mtn Barrels and Kreiger all got there start working for Boots Obermeyer and the guys who own Bartlein got their start working for Kreiger.

Obermeyer is still in business. index

Here one that makes good barrel. Broughton Rifle Barrels by North Manufacturing Co., Inc.

The top of my list are Rock Creek, Kreiger, Brux and Bartlien, each is a little different but they are cut rifled and I see very little variation in bore diameters and they are to spec every barrel I see, lapping is excellent and when slugged they are nice the whole way. The bottom of my list is X-Caliber, Lilja and Broughton, while I've used them and they have shot, slugging them and seeing the lapping and bores that have tight spots or bores that follow the contouring or fluting just does not inspire confidence, the only barrel I have returned multiples of is X-Caliber. Hart and Benchmarks I'm OK with but I would rather have the first on the list. I have not seen anyone that I can count on for more speed or less, that lays with each bore.

...The bottom of my list is X-Caliber, Lilja and Broughton, while I've used them and they have shot, slugging them and seeing the lapping and bores that have tight spots or bores that follow the contouring or fluting just does not inspire confidence, the only barrel I have returned multiples of is X-Caliber...

I have an X-Caliber in 308 that I really like. I got it last year. How long ago were the ones you didn't like? Have they improved or gotten worse maybe?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.