Custom action "best choice"

elkaholic

I have always used Rem. actions for my builds but am thinking of splurging on the next one and going with a custom "drop in" Rem 700. I live right down the road from Bruce Thom (Bat) and have looked at his drop ins which I know are top of the line. Some of you guys who have had some customs, or some of you custom builders, which actions would you recommend for a long range hunting rifle and why?......thanks/Rich

BAT HRPIC milled for 4" Wyatt's box--integral rail with your choice of angle. This rail also stiffens up the whole action and there's one less set of screws to potenially have trouble with or some kind of misalignment here otherwise with a separate rail/action. Having it milled for 4" Wyatt's box or other similar size (next closest is Seekins DM @ 3.9", I think) gives the best chance of having mag rounds also utilize max case capacity and be on the lands if desired. Bruce did the CNC program to make mine with 4" Wyatts, so I know he already has that in hand. The BAT HRPIC takes way longer in his CNC machine than his other actions due to that integral rail. These were the thoughts that I had when I purchased this as the basis of a 338 Lap Imp. build. Working with BAT would be easy as you're so close. Good luck.

2194868630068902019S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
MY buddies shooting bench, with records under them are shooting Bat. I would get a BAT and not look BAT

Last edited:
For a hunting action, I would go with a Tooley Orion. The fluted melonite bolt with M16 extractor as standard is more than enough to make me go that way and for $850 or less.

IMO by far best for the money.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tooley-orion-action-pics-requested-56798/

Love BATs for comp but they are too tight and too soft on the bolt face for a hunting action. One grain of dirt got in my 1K BAT and locked the bolt so tight we had to take the barrel off and it scratched the lug. Not exactly endearing feature for a hunting gun.

BH

I have 2 buddies w/matching 300 wins and BATS, asked them about the field, and so far said OK, but they only have one season on them. I live a few miles from Defiance, that was my pick

Yeh hearing really good things about Defiance. If I get another custom I will go that route especially since I'm only about 15 miles away from them!:cool:

Defiance has very good fit and polish. They will make actions that are meant for hunting so that the grain of dirt thing will not happen to you. Just contact them and they will make the right action for your needs. They are very nice to work with.

Steve

Love BATs for comp but they are too tight and too soft on the bolt face for a hunting action. One grain of dirt got in my 1K BAT and locked the bolt so tight we had to take the barrel off and it scratched the lug. Not exactly endearing feature for a hunting gun.

BH

100% agree with this...BAT are super tight...a little dirt or Ice will cause problems.

After shooting the brands mentioned and owning a few others, BAT are 2nd to none for BR but my current hunting build is being done on a Pierce.

Bolt is being turned to my spec. and thread lengthened for a heavy barrel 9" action. Other than length it's a Rem clone. Side by side with the actions mentioned (BAT not included) It was an easy choice.

For a hunting action, I would go with a Tooley Orion. The fluted melonite bolt with M16 extractor as standard is more than enough to make me go that way and for $850 or less.

IMO by far best for the money.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tooley-orion-action-pics-requested-56798/

BH
I see guys all the time on shows set their rifles right down in the dirt and I gotta grit my teeth every time. Which is why I refuse to set any of my weapons on the ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.