• Rock Creek

Votes: 17 5.7%
  • Shaw

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Shilen

Votes: 13 4.4%

• Total voters

MontanaRifleman

Out of interest, I thought I would post this poll to see which custom match grade barrels LRH members prefer. Let's consider accuracy, other quality issues, customer service and standing behind their product.

I listed 15 of what I think are probably the most popular. If I didn't list yours let us know.

I'll start by voting for Broughton. I don't know for sure that Broughton barrels are "The Best" but I was very pleased with their over all quality and have been very pleased in my dealings with Tim North. He took the time to answer a number questions.

That said, in the future I will probably try some other makers like Bartlein and Benchmark to name a couple. Bartlein for their gain twist option.

My vote Benchmark. I would never be so bold to say they are the best, however they have done a excellent job on my rifles. The fact that I have never had a problem is also a plus. You most certainly put together a very good list Mark. This should be a great thread to follow.

I voted Hart because my Dad and Pap have always shot them on their Remington customs, M1As, and 40x and not one has not been a tack driver. I am installing one on my custom 1917 Enfield build and we cut it at 28" with a custom contour that tapers to .720 at the muzzle. Really looking forward to this rifle and expect it to shoot excellent with its .308 Norma chambering and excellent barrel. I know Hart has lost most of its popularity nowadays but believe them to be one of the best. I think they are unpopular today because the newer "better" barrels are gaining popularity because benchrest guys tried them out, did well, and everyone jumped on them. Same thing happens every once in awhile. At one time Shilen, Hart, and Douglas use to be very popular.

this is funny, 9 votes and 8 different answers !
just goes to show that most barrels available today are good ones .

My vote is for Benchmark ! I now have three of their barrels on my custom rifles and will definately buy more for future projects. Customer service rating is 100% satisfied, I talked to Chris when ordering barrels and got my order exactly as specified and in all three cases was shocked to get my barrel in earlier than quoted, one custom barrel took one week !!

Barrels are supremely accurate in my high capacity wildcat cartridges and cleaning is an easy task indicating a high quality bore finishing method, checking with borescope shows an excellent mirror smooth finish with no tool marks or scratches anywhere in the full 34" length of the blanks.

Very happy with my Benchmark Barrels

I also use other brands but have no dealing with the manufacturers themselves as the barrels were purchased from Bugholes or Butch's

I like the Bartlein 5R barrels and have 4 and all are awesome

other barrels I currently use and am very happy with

Rock Creek, Obermeyer, Brux and Hart

I have not been cursed with a bad barrel yet, all are of excellent quality and shoot far better than my abilities .

My vote is for Benchmark ! I now have three of their barrels on my custom rifles and will definately buy more for future projects. Customer service rating is 100% satisfied, I talked to Chris when ordering barrels and got my order exactly as specified and in all three cases was shocked to get my barrel in earlier than quoted, one custom barrel took one week !!

Barrels are supremely accurate in my high capacity wildcat cartridges and cleaning is an easy task indicating a high quality bore finishing method, checking with borescope shows an excellent mirror smooth finish with no tool marks or scratches anywhere in the full 34" length of the blanks.

Very happy with my Benchmark Barrels

I also use other brands but have no dealing with the manufacturers themselves as the barrels were purchased from Bugholes or Butch's

I like the Bartlein 5R barrels and have 4 and all are awesome

other barrels I currently use and am very happy with

Rock Creek, Obermeyer, Brux and Hart

I have not been cursed with a bad barrel yet, all are of excellent quality and shoot far better than my abilities .

I'm sure you will be keeping the barrel makers and your smith busy with your line of wildcats :)

I have very good results from krieger, I am considering trying a benchmark on my 308 I'm getting ready to re-barrel. I'm also wanting to re-barrel my 300wm mil spec I like the 5r barrel but is a 24" and I would really prefer a 28" If I can ever get my hands on some 215 bergers I might have second thoughts:D

For my first build, I went with a Brux! This was after reading reviews, others first hand accounts, and recommendations from members here on LRH!

I've had great barrels from. Douglas, Shilen, Hart, Shaw, Krieger, all in hunting calibers, and rifles. I voted Douglas just because it was my first one and set the standard in my mind for what a custom barrel should be.

So many great barrels available these days this is a tough poll. My next one? Maybe Benchmark for the fact they're in Washington, and there isn't much good coming from here and it should be encouraged.:Dgun)

Last edited:
Brux, Brux and Brux.

I have had many other barrels and most of them have performed very, very well.
The reason that I shoot mostly Brux now is because of their great customer service.

I had a dog of a barrel that should have shot better than it did....called Brux and I had a new one free of charge in 5 days.

That alone is why every barrel that I buy from now on will be a Brux.

I've currently got three listed in the poll, PAC Nor, Shilen, and Benchmark. All three of them are excellent barrels but I had to give the nod to Benchmark as it seems to be the most consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.