Applied Ballistics Mobile App

Hey Doc,

How will AB update? Automatically? How can I check to see if my AB has updated?

Thanks, DocB

It depends on how you have your device setup. It should update automatically, if you have auto-updates turned off, you should get a notification you need to update your apps.

Go to Google's Play Store. Click the menu button in the upper left (looks like 3 horizontal bars). Click My Apps. It will post an "Update All" button in the upper right if you need to update anything. Under that you will have a "Recently Updated" section, and AB should be one of the apps listed there.

It depends on how you have your device setup. It should update automatically, if you have auto-updates turned off, you should get a notification you need to update your apps.

Go to Google's Play Store. Click the menu button in the upper left (looks like 3 horizontal bars). Click My Apps. It will post an "Update All" button in the upper right if you need to update anything. Under that you will have a "Recently Updated" section, and AB should be one of the apps listed there.

Roger that.

DocB

Please forgive my questions if they are duplicates but I can't seem to find answers.

Question 1- So if I use density altitude measured by a Weather Hawk 3500, I also need to put the temp in the Applied Ballistics app and set the pressure to absolute, correct? And I think there is one more setting I need to make "0" which I think I have seen it referred to as "SA". What is "SA"?

Second question, my scope is a NXS 5.5 x 22 x 56mm with the NPR2 reticle. I have my "0' set at 300 yards, but I only see a 25 yard mark above on the first 2 MOA extension in the reticle view, but no other ranges for any other marks above the main center cross hair. DO I have something set wrong?

Thanks for the help in advance!
300WSM
185 Berger
3008 fps
Savage 12 VBSS
Elevation 3866

Tex

Please forgive my questions if they are duplicates but I can't seem to find answers.

Question 1- So if I use density altitude measured by a Weather Hawk 3500, I also need to put the temp in the Applied Ballistics app and set the pressure to absolute, correct? And I think there is one more setting I need to make "0" which I think I have seen it referred to as "SA". What is "SA"?

Second question, my scope is a NXS 5.5 x 22 x 56mm with the NPR2 reticle. I have my "0' set at 300 yards, but I only see a 25 yard mark above on the first 2 MOA extension in the reticle view, but no other ranges for any other marks above the main center cross hair. DO I have something set wrong?

Thanks for the help in advance!
300WSM
185 Berger
3008 fps
Savage 12 VBSS
Elevation 3866

Tex

I am not well versed in the Weather Hawk 3500. They have a WM350? It does not state it reports Station Pressure, but Barometric pressure. So in order to set that device up correctly, altitude needs to be 0, which would report station pressure. If you input barometric pressure, as absolute, then you will be getting a bad firing solution.

Is their a particular reason you zeroed at 300 yards? It is best to zero at 100 yards so you don't have to worry about atmospheric changes affecting your zero.

Zeroed at 300 yards originally so that I would not have to touch the turrets for shots out to 1,000 yards. Resetting to 100 yard zero could be done now as I am doing some tunning prior to season. All practice now.

The WeatherHawk might be a 350. IT does report station pressure or it can be set to give barometric pressure. I think I have it set properly to give the Density Altitude, I just wanted to make sure I had the Applied Ballistics app set correctly, but to be on the safe side I'll pull it out tonight and review it for sure.

Thanks for the reply, further thoughts and comments always appreciated and heavily considered. Still learning after more than 50 years.

Ok, spent time last night reviewing and brushing up on the WeatherHawk 350 and re-reading the instructions. I compared it to the instructions for the Kestrel 4500 regarding the pressure and altitude instructions and they seem almost identical except for some wording. The 350 says to 1st enter the barometric pressure and then the altitude for base settings and then the unit can respond with the proper density altitudes. It also will read and give you station pressure. Should you change altitudes, it says to enter the altitude or the barometric pressure so that density altitude will be correct. The Kestrel says the same thing, change altitude, you got to enter the new altitude or a new barometric pressure.

So what I need to make sure of rock solid wise is that within the Applied Ballistics app, which way is the best way to set it up for field use, should I use density altitude, temp and make what other changes you recommend or should I enter the atmospheric particulars and not use density altitude. Which would be the more accurate if there is one and which would provide faster use. I am more than willing to do which ever, I just would like some help to make sure I am shooting as accurately as I can and can make changes in the field as quick as possible.

I absolutely am a number one fan of the Applied Ballistics app and all of yours and Brian's work, effort, expertise, etc. Please understand I am not by any means unhappy, just a little confused on which methodology I should use and which inputs I need to make in the Applied Ballistics app to make sure I'm getting the correct results. I appreciate your responses and being in the software and software support business I know it can be a bit challenging when dealing with users that don't understand or that get things mixed up. As I said before, I am here to learn and you folks are the best teachers out there. You're the experts. Thanks again!

Ignore my previous posts. I have figured most of it out on my own and what little I still have some confusion about will be taken care of through additional digging and testing. You can even delete them if you so desire.

Ignore my previous posts. I have figured most of it out on my own and what little I still have some confusion about will be taken care of through additional digging and testing. You can even delete them if you so desire.

Its no big deal, others can learn from this too!

In order for the barometric pressure to be correct, the altitude has to be perfect, since it uses that for the DA calculation. If for any reason the altitude is off, the DA calculation is off in that unit. But easy mode = have altitude read 0, you now have station pressure (absolute pressure) and you can input that instead of DA. This would be the best way to do it with your device.

Doc, thank you very much for the nice updated tutorial, the tutorial answered some small question that I had with AB for Android.

A small change is needed in the graph section of the tutorial in wording:

"So the Berger Match Hybrid Target round used in this graph is showing at 1000 yards a drop of roughly -390 inches and a velocity of roughly 1400 FPS at 100 yards. This graph can be done with one bullet, or you can do a comparison as seen below. You can also change the graph to show drift instead of drop. "

I believe you need another zero. You examples made it easier for me to understand graph.

Thanks
Chris

Help!!,!, AB mobile was having some issues on my Iphone. I hard reset it and they still existed. I then backed everything up via web sync, deleted ap, went to reinstall and the ap store no longer has it. This is a $30 essential ap for my shooting. Anyone else having issues?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.