Applied Ballistics Mobile App

A question that has come up more than once now, I think its a good time to share the answer.

Their are two standards for atmosphere when measuring a BC. Some companies use ASM, and other companies use ICAO.

Their are also these same two standards in Ballistics Software. Some solvers are using ASM, some are using ICAO. However we have given you the option to use either. So if the solver is expecting ASM, and you input ICAO you can expect an error. Vice Versa as well.

Army Standard Metro Conditions - 29.53 inHg, 59 Deg F, and 78% Humidity.
International Civil Aviation Organization - 29.92 inHg, 59 deg F, 0% Humidity.

If you have the book Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting this is addressed on page 117.

Some of the older solvers are only designed to work with ASM, some of the newer solvers are only designed to work with ICAO. This means that you could have an error of 2% in your solution.

Berger ICAO
Barnes ICAO
Hornady ASM
Nosler ICAO
Lapua ICAO
Sierra ASM
Winchester ASM
GI APG ICAO

Luckily our app allows you to tell it which standard was used. If you use the information found in the book Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets, then its ICAO. If you use our Custom Drag Models then you don't have to worry about this at all.

If I get any other information or if something changes in regards to what models the companies above use, I will update this information. This might not apply to all shooters, but it is there if you need it. For other brands you may have to contact the bullet maker to know which they use. If our ballistics lab has tested it, the information is given to you in ICAO.

Last edited:
Applied Ballistics iOS version just posted by Apple, and in the next 24 hours will hit the different regions. If your phone is not set up to automatically update try doing it manually. If you run in to a bug please send it to me via email, what I need to know is:

Device
iOS Version
Region of the world you are in.
Settings
Basic weapon and ammo profile
Step by step how you got the problem to occur.

The more information you send the easier it is to track down the problem. I know this can be a bit much, but every little bit helps.

If you have not looked over this thread in a while please do so. Some significant changes are coming to the app, including an updated interface, and updated features. Please read this in its entirety to see the new program.

1. Custom Drag Curve Purchase System Overhauled.

2. Zero Height Sync Error Fixed.

3. Web Sync failing for some users fixed.

4. Ballistic Calibration Text Font Color Issue Fixed.

5. Graphical Interface Updated.

6. Updated to work with newer android operation systems (5.1+)

This is just a short list of some of the errors fixed.

If you have not looked over this thread in a while please do so. Some significant changes are coming to the app, including an updated interface, and updated features. Please read this in its entirety to see the new program.

1. Custom Drag Curve Purchase System Overhauled.

2. Zero Height Sync Error Fixed.

3. Web Sync failing for some users fixed.

4. Ballistic Calibration Text Font Color Issue Fixed.

5. Graphical Interface Updated.

6. Updated to work with newer android operation systems (5.1+)

This is just a short list of some of the errors fixed.

Doc, Is this for IOS as well?

I did the update now when I goto custom curves it pulls up choice but when I goto purchase it says authentication required sign into Google account but I am i can get other apps and stuff but no curves. I have purchased one a 338 curve prior to the glitch but haven't since. I really want the Cutting edge. 375 350gr MTH curve. Any ideas what to try. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the update now when I goto custom curves it pulls up choice but when I goto purchase it says authentication required sign into Google account but I am i can get other apps and stuff but no curves. I have purchased one a 338 curve prior to the glitch but haven't since. I really want the Cutting edge. 375 350gr MTH curve. Any ideas what to try. Thanks

This is a sync issue that will correct itself over time as the new library stabilizes. This will occur as we update the library and it shows up for sale before the data is available. Just give it a couple days, and re-try. It can take some time for both sides to be in proper sync to purchase the custom drag curve. It will not affect anything and is not a major bug. It just means one half of the system is working faster than the other half.

This is a sync issue that will correct itself over time as the new library stabilizes. This will occur as we update the library and it shows up for sale before the data is available. Just give it a couple days, and re-try. It can take some time for both sides to be in proper sync to purchase the custom drag curve. It will not affect anything and is not a major bug. It just means one half of the system is working faster than the other half.
Do you mean for that paticulaur bullet or all?

Do you mean for that paticulaur bullet or all?

When this happens, it is bullet specific. Each bullet in the system has a part A and a part B to make it simple. That just means part A (the part the consumer sees) arrived before part B so its out of sync. As it populates this will fix itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.