Any good 80 lb bows come out recently?

sure. they are good at blowing.
after my d-loop broke while i was pulling 70lb and release hit me in a mouth i was thinking just about it. while looking for my tooth. it was years ago...something to remember. :)

sure. they are good at blowing.
after my d-loop broke while i was pulling 70lb and release hit me in a mouth i was thinking just about it. while looking for my tooth. it was years ago...something to remember. :)
Hahaha ouch!!! I always think about that happening lol

I'm new to the possibility of hunting with a bow so I'm curious to know why a person would need an 80# bow? Based on my state regulations, 80# is twice minimum required. Can someone enlighten me? PM me if this is a hijack. Thanks.
You don't need 80 lbs to hunt. As I've mentioned, I myself do it for performance. The draw weight is easy for me, there's no real down side.

I tag out in archery in most states I go every year. I've made long shots, I've had good stalks, but for every success I've had, I've probably blown 10-15 or more stalks. A lot of times I get into no win stalks where a buck is surrounded by an army of doe, and is ranged 75y away, or waking on a ridge looking down a Colorado drainage at a bull at 12k ft on shale rock .

Or a rutting buck walking out to feed in open country on a hillside feeding on sageā€¦perfect broadside at 100y.

All real stories.

That last one, I had a good shot, but a wind gust was down in the that valley, and my brother in law who was standing behind me said the wind took it two feet to the left. I went up in draw and arrow weight after that, and it's made a difference. Still have great penetration. I don't shoot mechanicals though. That last story was the buck in this picture. Simply a medium body 2x3. Just another one that got away.

Attachments

• IMG_6065.jpeg
    IMG_6065.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Yea I'm looking to get into the 80lb bow game. I first started looking at them when Mathews had the Monster series bows (still produced BTW), because they were the only bow manufacturer that "mass" produced an 80lb bow, and that was their Safari model if I recall. Hoyt shortly followed suit with Cam Hanes gaining notoriety and he was shooting the 80lb Hoyt. Ever since, Hoyt has led the pack in that regard. Mathews has had a nice switch weight cam system for at least five years now and Elite has an 80lb model also.

So if I understand correctly, by going to 80# it would be similar to shooting a rifle with higher velocity, flatter trajectory and more ft/lbs delivered to the target...? Ok, thanks for the explanation!

So if I understand correctly, by going to 80# it would be similar to shooting a rifle with higher velocity, flatter trajectory and more ft/lbs delivered to the target...? Ok, thanks for the explanation!
Pretty simple to me. 80lbs I've blown through multiple elk shouldersā€¦even with mechanicals. 60lbsā€¦good luck.

If you can pull, hold, and do it over and over again with ease at 80lbs, then why would you go 60 or 70? If 80 is hard to draw at the range, it'll be nearly impossible on a cold September morning while kneeling with an elk 30 yards away. Everybody is built different, pull what you can pull comfortably but don't try to put your limitations on others. (Not directed at anybody)

Yea I'm looking to get into the 80lb bow game. I first started looking at them when Mathews had the Monster series bows (still produced BTW), because they were the only bow manufacturer that "mass" produced an 80lb bow, and that was their Safari model if I recall. Hoyt shortly followed suit with Cam Hanes gaining notoriety and he was shooting the 80lb Hoyt. Ever since, Hoyt has led the pack in that regard. Mathews has had a nice switch weight cam system for at least five years now and Elite has an 80lb model also.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Monster and AlphaMax both come out the same year? Not sure Hoyt "followed suit"
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Mathew's Phase 4 is available with 75# limbs. Mine draws at 78# and shoots lights out. Quietest bow I've ever had. Shoots 500gr arrows just over 300fps (30" draw).

I just happened to shoot a Phase 4 and a Lift today @ 70 lbs. They are both nice bows. The biggest thing I noticed was how quiet they are. Just getting back into bowhunting after a few year hiatus. My old bow I sold this past fall was a Z7 Extreme. They have come a long way. I believe the Lift is .5 lbs lighter a little under 4 lbs.

I promise, I'm not saying this in a smart as* way.
I shoot 80 cause I can.
You slobberd a bib full rite there.
The extra poundage allows me to shoot a heavier arrow to resist wind and wind drag at longer distances.
Yes yes yes
The secondary benefit is the KE regarding impact and penetration at those distances.
Absolutely
" I chose aluminum for the vibration and noise dampening compared to carbon".
are you saying carbon had more vibration and noise or you choose it for such? must be not tuned or defective carbon.
As did I. I have a carbon fiber and aluminum Hoyt, The CF hasn't been shot a dz times. Aluminum is quieter, smoother, and I can shoot it better.

You don't need 80 lbs to hunt. As I've mentioned, I myself do it for performance. The draw weight is easy for me, there's no real down side.
YESSSSSS!
RUM comes to mind
Pretty simple to me. 80lbs I've blown through multiple elk shouldersā€¦even with mechanicals. 60lbsā€¦good luck.
Creedmoor comes to mind

Mathew's Phase 4 is available with 75# limbs. Mine draws at 78# and shoots lights out. Quietest bow I've ever had. Shoots 500gr arrows just over 300fps (30" draw).
My phase 4 is 77lb. Never checked speed but with a 31.5 draw it hammers. Incredibly smooth and quiet.

All this talk is funny. I've recently been in a debate about the "kinetic energy" being useless with regards to ballistics. Then using the heavy arrow example with the heavy bullet example guys are telling me it's not energy, it's momentum hahah. Basically the premise is that heavier projectiles are useless because it's not energy that's important it's the bullet/broadhead design. This is essentially nonsense because without energy (an objects ability to do work) than no projectiles will ever kill anything.

Bows with lighter draw weight and lighter arrows will not produce the energy that bows with heavier poundage and arrows will. It matters not what year your 60# bows is manufactured, it still will not produce the numbers an 80# can with similar arrow specs.

OP, It's hard to beat the draw cylce of a Hoyt IMO. 80# is nothing to all the naysayers. If you can't pull 80 than stick to 60 but stop saying you don't understand why others need 80. You don't need to understand. Numbers are numbers and we like them. Next time your 60# bow with it's pewny 450 grain arrow sticks into an animals front shoulder other guys arrows will be blowing right through both of them. You'll be tracking a wounded animal and others will be packing meat. This is one good reason many guys shoot 80+ bows.

Last edited: