Any good 80 lb bows come out recently?

dfanonymous

Just seeing if anyone has the scuttlebutt on any decent 80 lb bows. I have the Revolt X80, so, something that has that same smoothness but maybe more fps?

I guess just to disclaim, there's nothing wrong with the revolt x80, it's just a little heavy for backpack hunting, and I like closing pin gaps for out to 100y. Again, no issues getting out there.

Frankly if they made it in a 34 ata, in the lower half of 4 lbs and a full 7 inch brace height, I probably wouldn't even be looking.

My son shoots 80+ and has been shooting Hoyt for years. I shoot next to him, his is quiet, fast, tunable and not sure on total weight with sights and stabilizer.

I shoot Hoyt Double XL and when rt shoulder crapped out they made new limbs for me at really decent cost. The CS to help me was outstanding.

My son shoots 80+ and has been shooting Hoyt for years. I shoot next to him, his is quiet, fast, tunable and not sure on total weight with sights and stabilizer.

I shoot Hoyt Double XL and when rt shoulder crapped out they made new limbs for me at really decent cost. The CS to help me was outstanding.
Is he using the Hoyt axius?

My goodness, I am curious. What real gain is realized when jumping from 70 lbs to 80 lb draw weight? If it works for you great, I suppose.

Seems the frequency of shoulder injures I read about with poor form & excess draw weight causes concern for a guy on the outside looking in. Wish you well in your search & archery experience.

My goodness, I am curious. What real gain is realized when jumping from 70 lbs to 80 lb draw weight? If it works for you great, I suppose.

Seems the frequency of shoulder injures I read about with poor form & excess draw weight causes concern for a guy on the outside looking in. Wish you well in your search & archery experience.
I promise, I'm not saying this in a smart as* way.
I shoot 80 cause I can. Like I curl 70 lbs as a work out and bench over 300. Not trying to show off, but to answer the question in context. It's not hard for me, especially these new modern ones like my bowtech…it draws suppper smooth and faster than my last Hoyt.

Now as to the advantage, I've shot a 70 for many years. My issue as a western hunter who does a lot of backpack archery (otc non resident tags) is wind actually. Shots are just longer. Doesn't matter how good you are at stalking, sometimes 65y is the best you'll do when that buck is surrounded by 7 doe or it's that last day of elk and that bull is standing in the open country grassy wallows.

The extra poundage allows me to shoot a heavier arrow to resist wind and wind drag at longer distances. I have a medium draw I think, 28.5, but I know guys that use higher poundage to make up for shorter draw lengths as well. The secondary benefit is the KE regarding impact and penetration at those distances.

Last edited:
I shot a 70lb Matthews for many years. I shot all summer before the hunting season.
But ... as life changes so did my interests. I put the bow away for a couple of years. When I finally regained my interest in the bow, I literally could not draw that bow even ONCE!

Funny how things change.

How much fps gain on average are you guys seeing going from 70-80 lb limbs? I've been considering making this switch
Idk. I shoot a 408 gr arrow at 312 fps with the revolt at 78 lbs and 28.5 in draw. Most of my 70 lbs were all around the 280-295 mark using a similar arrow weight. I've never directly compared them though.

I wonder what Cam Hanes is getting shooting a 90 lb bow haha

Last edited:
Cameron shoots a 80#Hotyt, for performance, AND because he can. I would, guess I need to keep eating my wheaties Just looking yes! at your post maybe its 90# I know it took his kid that set the world record ,shortly on pull-ups, to just be able to pull it back!!! I use to run one of my bows at 76# back in the day

I shot a 70lb Matthews for many years. I shot all summer before the hunting season.
But ... as life changes so did my interests. I put the bow away for a couple of years. When I finally regained my interest in the bow, I literally could not draw that bow even ONCE!

Funny how things change.
Gee thanks for the words of encouragement. I didn't get to hunt this year, due to my shoulders. lol

Cameron shoots a 80#Hotyt, for performance, AND because he can. I would, guess I need to keep eating my wheaties Just looking yes! at your post maybe its 90# I know it took his kid that set the world record ,shortly on pull-ups, to just be able to pull it back!!!
He's shot a Hoyt ventum 33 for at 90 for awhile now. My issue with that is it's hard to find properly spinned arrows. It's not a problem for him, as Hoyt custom made him those 90 lb limbs. I'm sure the arrow manufactures make him stuff too.