Age this guy.

What is y'all take on this deer front shoulder blades? Old age?

View attachment 403667
The leg blending in with the neck and the fact he's got his head down and close to the camera makes it somewhat deceptive. He's probably going to be a 4.5yo buck though if you got him on the ground and aged him by his teeth.

Normally buy 5.5 you'll notice a little loose skin around the eyes and the beginning of a saggy jowl but you can't tell about it from that angle.

I'm still saying 3.5 based on that pic, the neck should be thicker this time of year for a 4.5

Straight nose, straight back, straight belly, long legs. I agree w/ previous posts. 3 1/2 and will probably be a cull buck. But if being a dry year, maybe not.
It's been a terrible dry year across most of the state. Other than the places where hunters feed the deer all year it's probably not going to be much of a year for trophies.

It's been a terrible dry year across most of the state. Other than the places where hunters feed the deer all year it's probably not going to be much of a year for trophies.
The terrible drought this year has affected the nut growth of hardwoods here in Louisiana.
There are VERY few acorns in the oaks. They are normally falling by now and there's none.
The woods are clean down underneath the old trees.
Seems the same for pecans.

Most of those you posted are just young deer. The only two ways to know for sure on age, are either with history or ear tags. Teeth are notoriously incorrect. I know a lot of y'all mentioned using the teeth, and even using the cementum annuli process, but the bottom line is teeth are a horrible way to correctly age a deer. I've been doing this a LONG time and have just seen it too many times on known aged deer. We kill a lot of known 8-10 year old deer and their teeth will almost always show 5-6 years if you go "by the book".

Trying to age deer in the summertime is almost impossible. They ALL look young. They ALL have skinny necks. Usually by October or November (Texas hill country) they will start to more accurately show their age. Keep in mind, nothing is 100% when aging on the hoof. Not all bucks will get a sway back, or a pot belly, ect. In fact most don't. Here are some pics of a buck my son killed back in October. Notice the white ears. We watched this buck since he was a spike, back in 2015. Actually, we are not certain if it was 2015 or 2014, so to err on the safe side let's say 2015. That would make him 8.5 this year. There is NO denying it is the same buck. He was a fixture on our lease and a fun deer to keep tabs on all those years. Oh, and his teeth showed 5.

The first pic was from September. Most folks would age him at 5 off that pic. Very typical for a deer of this age. The last pic is obviously from back when he was a spike...8 years ago.

IMG_1781.PNG
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1770.jpg
20170106_220001.JPG

Most of those you posted are just young deer. The only two ways to know for sure on age, are either with history or ear tags. Teeth are notoriously incorrect. I know a lot of y'all mentioned using the teeth, and even using the cementum annuli process, but the bottom line is teeth are a horrible way to correctly age a deer. I've been doing this a LONG time and have just seen it too many times on known aged deer. We kill a lot of known 8-10 year old deer and their teeth will almost always show 5-6 years if you go "by the book".

Trying to age deer in the summertime is almost impossible. They ALL look young. They ALL have skinny necks. Usually by October or November (Texas hill country) they will start to more accurately show their age. Keep in mind, nothing is 100% when aging on the hoof. Not all bucks will get a sway back, or a pot belly, ect. In fact most don't. Here are some pics of a buck my son killed back in October. Notice the white ears. We watched this buck since he was a spike, back in 2015. Actually, we are not certain if it was 2015 or 2014, so to err on the safe side let's say 2015. That would make him 8.5 this year. There is NO denying it is the same buck. He was a fixture on our lease and a fun deer to keep tabs on all those years. Oh, and his teeth showed 5.

The first pic was from September. Most folks would age him at 5 off that pic. Very typical for a deer of this age. The last pic is obviously from back when he was a spike...8 years ago.

View attachment 418241View attachment 418242View attachment 418243View attachment 418244
Why did you leave those inferior spike genes in the pool? You should have known he would never turn into anything.....

Very cool that he had such a specific trait that you could keep track of him.