A 460 s&w bolt action is an easy convention

stevedral

I just completed my 460 S&W conversion. It started life as a late 80's savage 110. I replaced the barrel with green mountain gunsmith special. 2" dia x 26" long with a 1 in 16 twist. Profiled to between medium and varmint. The bolt head was swapped out from standard to magnum to accommodate the .520" dia. RIM. For those of you that are old enough to remember the savage 340 or 342 in 22 hornet, 30-30 and 225 Winchester the rear of the barrel has a boss that is integral to the chamber and in my rifle it nicely nests the rim into the bolt face.

I'm working on a single stack 2 round insert mag because mine dose not like to feed from a staggered column.

I'm getting 250 grain hornady ftx bushmaster bullets to group inside an inch at 100 yards. Lighter bullets in this rifle can't make it into 4" groups. I'm knocking on the door of 2,700 over Lil-gun powder. Next I'm gonna look at 4198 and 3031 and see what develops.

That's certainly an interesting build. I believe Thompson Center makes a factory single shot rifle in both 460 and 500 s&w.

That will definitely be a thumper! very cool. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.