460 S&W Rifle loads

meatyrem

I am waiting on a 460 S&W rifle 1-16 twist 24" bull barrel for an encore.
Does anyone have any loads for the rifle they recommend or is it basically the same as loading for the pistol?

I am waiting on a 460 S&W rifle 1-16 twist 24" bull barrel for an encore.
Does anyone have any loads for the rifle they recommend or is it basically the same as loading for the pistol?

I just finished my rifle and chronographed the pistol loads in it and was very pleased. Looks like H110 or Lil'gun is the best powders. Be sure that you use magnum bullets (Like the XTP MAG) because of the velocity.

I looked at rifle powders and the case does not have enough case capacity to bring the pressure up to 55,000 psi (460 SAMMI pressure).

Factory 200 grain pistol loads developed 2933 ft/sec in my 23" barrel and 2067 ft/sec with 300 grain bullets using Lil'gun.

I have a 1 in 16 twist and the 200 grain bullets did great at 100 yards but I don't think they will stay accurate @ 200+yards so I plan On using the 300's or the 325s for longer shots.

The pistol loads did not have any muzzle blast, so the rifle is consuming all of the powder in the 23" barrel.

J E CUSTOM

For longer shots you could try some of the long range muzzleloader bullets. Parker for instance has a long pointy 300 that has a good B.C. for distance.

I currently have the 275gr Barnes X loaded up with aa#9. I have H110 and lil gun but I will not use lil gun. I also have 300gr deep curl. Thought of using the 275 Barnes as its more stream lined. I think I'll stay away from the lighter bullets as I read one place they keyhole at top velocities and talked to another guy who shoots it in a 20" barrel they were all over the place. Think I'll load up some 275gr with h-110 and see how they will do.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.