7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

It's a 26 inch Brux barrel that is a heavy varmint contour with 6 flutes. I think the twist is 1:9. I forgot. I need to ask the original owner. It has 200 rounds of conservative reloads through it. I really like broughton though. I might rebarrel it to a 28-30 inch broughton with a muzzle break. I am not savey on the twist rate for this round but what ever could stabilize 160 grain and heavier rounds would be best.

OK brothers!!!! Here she is.... Butterbean will like that she is a model 70. Brux barrel 1-9.25 twist about 29inches without break. Atop is a 5.5x22x56 MOAR (thanks Bob!!!!)
I have not shot her yet but the smith said she shot "ok". Not really sure what that meant as he did not bring the target back with him. Gonna break the barrel in with some Rem corlokt 140 gr for now and then I will start my reloading.... Thinking 180 grains ober RL 33 or maybe 25 or retumbo.... I have that powder... I was thinking with the long barrel, the 33 may just do the trick... ANyone try it yet???
Let me know if you have any ideas... Ohhh also, took off the cheek piece.... Got in the way of the bolt coming out... I think it is a manners stock....

Thanks

Mario
ok cant upload the photos... I will try photo bucket

OK brothers!!!! Here she is.... Butterbean will like that she is a model 70. Brux barrel 1-9.25 twist about 29inches without break. Atop is a 5.5x22x56 MOAR (thanks Bob!!!!)
I have not shot her yet but the smith said she shot "ok". Not really sure what that meant as he did not bring the target back with him. Gonna break the barrel in with some Rem corlokt 140 gr for now and then I will start my reloading.... Thinking 180 grains ober RL 33 or maybe 25 or retumbo.... I have that powder... I was thinking with the long barrel, the 33 may just do the trick... ANyone try it yet???
Let me know if you have any ideas... Ohhh also, took off the cheek piece.... Got in the way of the bolt coming out... I think it is a manners stock....

Thanks

Mario
ok cant upload the photos... I will try photo bucket

Mario, I'm on vacation now, but a little " birdie " told me of a BADASS STW was on the " site ", so I borrowed my nieces iPad to check it out. And YUP, he was / is right. That thing is giving me wood ' bro. Wow, nice job, and yeah, forget all that stupid **** about what " some " people say about Winchester actions. I love em, and wouldn't hesitate to build another rifle on one. I have a few customs built on whinny actions, and they are as good or better then one built on a remy action. Nuff said! IMHO.
Enjoy the toy!! ( yeah, like , your not going to enjoy that machine ) :D
Peace out!

Thanks bud!!!! Gonna go do done shooting on 4th I think. I'll let you know. Enjoy your vacation. It's 112 here in Vegas so I'll shoot at 5am

I was sitting down to start to try and reload some rounds for my new Baby!!!!
I have Reloader 33 which ALliant says 85.7 gr under a 185gr speer is the charge for a 24 inch barrel....

Now, I have a 29 inch barrel so I think I can get the complete burn from the 33.... At least I hope... I am going to use Berger to start.. I think I might have some barnes Bullets too but I have to look..... I bought the bullets before I even had the gun!!!!:D

I have Fed 215 and Winchester match primers.... Gonna start with the 215... .I am not sure how long I am going to load but I followed Ben's advice and his parts list so I think that part was done right if the smith knew what he was doing... I am still skeptical.....

Anyway, I have a few different weights of the Bergers so I am all up for trying whatever Yall in the Brotherhood think will work.. I also have 25, 22, and 19 powder.. some H1000 and Retumbo...

That is what I have right now fellas... It will be a long range shooter and I hope to take it with me to NM for the Valle Calderas elk hunt in October and my Montana Deer and elk hunt in November...

I have some Rem 140gr corlokt that I am going to break the barrel in with.... the smith shot it 18 times and said he cleaned after each but the **** cheek piece got in the way of me taking the bolt out so I SERIOUSLY doubt he did....
so I am going to spend a few days shooting one and cleaning..
then I will move to the reloads after say 40 or the stock ones..

Have a happy 4th to yall.... Thanks to the Military people for all they do to allow me to have my life!!!!!!
Mario

Mario....I prefer the 168 & 180 VLD's over some H1000, and so does my gun. But alot of the guys in here like shooting 140-145gr bullets & different powders, out of their STW's.

I have had decent luck with Reloder 22 as well, although it is not quite as temp-stable as H1000 is.

I have been wanting to try some 25 & 33, as well, but can't seem to get my hands on any...

I have heard good things about 7828 SSC, and I have 1 lb of it, but I haven't tried any yet. Does anyone know if it is temp sensative, or not?

Happy 4th to you, as well.

Happy fourth for me! Got my elk from the taxidermist today! Had to share!:cool:

Attachments

• DSC_0416.jpg
    DSC_0416.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 10
Nice elk!!! Where is he from ???

I went shooting at 445 this morning. 91 degrees. She shot well for the first shot after cleaning. Next 2 were flyers. All about an inch but I'm not happy. I hope it's the new barrel. Gonna try to reload some. 168s over retumbo and 25. Maybe 33. I think my 29 inch barrel should burn it ok. What do you veteran stw shooters think ????

Happy. 4th all

Mario

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/marioq55/STWontruck_zpsb111fa24.jpg

Took the cheek rest off... Didnt like it... It was how I got the stock...

Attachments

• STW on truck.jpg
    STW on truck.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 10