7mm on the 300 winchester

ann brezinski

given what i have read on other sights this is a set up that is above a 7mm remington and a equal to the 7 mm stw using 150 to 180 grain bullets and equal barrel lengths.am i wrong on this ?i am just asking.
gary

It is called a 7mm Practical. I have one made with a Dave Manson reamer. He and a guy from New Zealand helped usher it in. I would not say it is equal to the STW. It is superior, IMO, because of reduced barrel wear, more balanced pwdr load to case capacity, mag box room for longer bullets, less recoil, longer barrel not needed usually, and perhaps dies

It is called a 7mm Practical. I have one made with a Dave Manson reamer. He and a guy from New Zealand helped usher it in. I would not say it is equal to the STW. It is superior, IMO, because of reduced barrel wear, more balanced pwdr load to case capacity, mag box room for longer bullets, less recoil, longer barrel not needed usually, and perhaps dies

Nathan Foster (from NZ) from Ballistic Studies developed the 7mm Practical, here is a link to the information on this cartridge:

the 7mm Practical is just one version of a 7mm-300 Win Mag, they were done before the Practical and many guys have done them after .... that have zero to do with the practical, I know of two versions locally from different guys and both would get pizzed about calling it the Practical

it's the same deal with the 35-300 WSM, many have been done before & after the Aussie version

jarrett statement on the 284 jarrett:
We were amazed that the .300 Winchester Magnum had never been reduced to 7mm successfully. The wheels really began to turn wondering exactly what the volume of the case would be. We designed a different case taper, then used our traditional 35 degree shoulder along with a lead angle in the throat to accommodate 140 and 160 gr. bullets.
These velocities are identical to a 7mm STW with a lot less powder.

the 7mm Practical is just one version of a 7mm-300 Win Mag, they were done before the Practical and many guys have done them after .... that have zero to do with the practical, I know of two versions locally from different guys and both would get pizzed about calling it the Practical

it's the same deal with the 35-300 WSM, many have been done before & after thI
So would this be like for example like the 280 & 280 Ai where the 280 can be fired from the 280AI?

So would this be like for example like the 280 & 280 Ai where the 280 can be fired from the 280AI?

the 7mm-300 Win Mag is simply the 300 Win Mag necked down to 7mm with no changes anywhere else on the case, bunch of guys have done that before the great flood and ever since, the Practical is just one of them, same with the 35-300 WSM where guys instantly want to call it the 35 Sambar when in reality many predate that version ....... same deal with the 338-300 RUM that is automatically called a 338 EDGE when most are not the Edge ...

that's the trouble with simple necked down/up wildcats without any other mods to the case, they get pinned with a name even though many were done before it

given what i have read on other sights this is a set up that is above a 7mm remington and a equal to the 7 mm stw using 150 to 180 grain bullets and equal barrel lengths.am i wrong on this ?i am just asking.
gary
A bit more powder cacity than the 7RM. Probably very close to the Dakota in most ways, not quite in the running with the STW though which is a necked down 8mm Mag and certainly milder than either the STW or Rum when loaded sensibly.

If I were building one today though it would be the 7mm-375 Ruger

Not all things are equal. It all depends on the throat, my long throat 7-300wm will run with my 28nosler saami reamer. But a long throat 28 will out run the 7-300…. The stw and nosler case are almost identical case capacity. My long throat 7stw blew the pants off my saami 28nosler

Not all things are equal. It all depends on the throat, my long throat 7-300wm will run with my 28nosler saami reamer. But a long throat 28 will out run the 7-300…. The stw and nosler case are almost identical case capacity. My long throat 7stw blew the pants off my saami 28nosler

Yep, when you are comparing equals you need to be sure they are actually "equals".