Winchester factory 7MM STW

thanks for the advice lefty, I have been using sierra 140 BT's for getting on paper if they shoot well I don't have a problem using them, I don't have any Hornady bullets except for some old 175 round nose.

but I will try some others.

the bergers are so long trying to seat them in the mag might be a challenge. I still have some of the first barnes 150's I will give them a shot as well.

worked on the stalk a little last night getting the hump sanded out and getting the barrel free floated.

just waiting on the rings and bases to get here. its going to be down to the wire. deer season here opens the 9 November
I seat regular Berger VLD's (not hybrids) in a Browning A-Bolt removable mag, and they shoot excellently for me. I'm really debating on trying the Hybrids because they're not as picky about seating depth.

thanks for the advice lefty, I have been using sierra 140 BT's for getting on paper if they shoot well I don't have a problem using them, I don't have any Hornady bullets except for some old 175 round nose.

but I will try some others.

the bergers are so long trying to seat them in the mag might be a challenge. I still have some of the first barnes 150's I will give them a shot as well.

worked on the stalk a little last night getting the hump sanded out and getting the barrel free floated.

just waiting on the rings and bases to get here. its going to be down to the wire. deer season here opens the 9 November
I've shot literally many thousands of the NBT's in both the STW and 7 Rem Mag, and I can say with lots of experience they are a poor choice for game at these velocities on anything inside of 600yds with the STW and 400yds with the Rem.

They are extremely explosive and will occasionally just leave an animal horribly wounded and when you do get a good clean kill the damage is usually so thorough as to waste a hell of a lot of mea.

The Accubond would be a much better choice if you want to stick with Nosler. The Interlock and Interbond are great choices from Hornady and the Swift Sirocco is hard to beat period.

I reserve the NBT's solely for shooting things I want to see explode especially in the STW. I can't tell you how many coyotes I've literally left in multiple pieces by hitting them mid rib with the STW even at 600yds Plus.

I've shot literally many thousands of the NBT's in both the STW and 7 Rem Mag, and I can say with lots of experience they are a poor choice for game at these velocities on anything inside of 600yds with the STW and 400yds with the Rem.

They are extremely explosive and will occasionally just leave an animal horribly wounded and when you do get a good clean kill the damage is usually so thorough as to waste a hell of a lot of mea.

The Accubond would be a much better choice if you want to stick with Nosler. The Interlock and Interbond are great choices from Hornady and the Swift Sirocco is hard to beat period.

I reserve the NBT's solely for shooting things I want to see explode especially in the STW. I can't tell you how many coyotes I've literally left in multiple pieces by hitting them mid rib with the STW even at 600yds Plus.

i wont disagree the BT's are thin jacketed. but for target practice they work great, plus with the same bc as accubonds they are a cheap sub when working up loads.

speaking of loads does any one have a pet load for 160's with H1000 or IMR 7828, found out this rifle hates my pet loads of H4831 sc and 140's and 150's

For the 160-180 grain bullets, you might want to try Reloader 25 powder. It cut my group sizes by half compared to my typical Berger VLDs loaded with H1000.

i wont disagree the BT's are thin jacketed. but for target practice they work great, plus with the same bc as accubonds they are a cheap sub when working up loads.

speaking of loads does any one have a pet load for 160's with H1000 or IMR 7828, found out this rifle hates my pet loads of H4831 sc and 140's and 150's
Yes they are fine for target shooting and blowing things up.

I was talking specifically about their performance on game.

Last edited:
We have a shooter!!! went out Saturday and finished getting dads, STW sighted in. discovered a bur on the muzzle that was causing problems getting it to group.

talked to a gun smith about having the crown redone but it would be a week or so in turn around time, so I took my chamfering tool and removed the bur thinking it cant get any worse.

after shooting a couple groups this is what I ended the day with. gun)
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Nice group! That's a nice sub-¼ MOA group right there... If I were you, I'd call it done, and keep loadng that one, after shooting a couple more groups like that, to make sure it wasn't just a a fluke. Because I've had that happen before too. LOL

You think, "Oh yeah, that's an awesome group right there...Lets shoot one more just to check....What the f$&% happened there!!! Well...Back to square one..." :D

Nice group! That's a nice sub-¼ MOA group right there... If I were you, I'd call it done, and keep loadng that one, after shooting a couple more groups like that, to make sure it wasn't just a a fluke. Because I've had that happen before too. LOL

You think, "Oh yeah, that's an awesome group right there...Lets shoot one more just to check....What the f$&% happened there!!! Well...Back to square one..." :D

trust me its going to get a few more trips to the range that was shot off a bipod and my shooting bag. I am thinking that the group would or could have been better off of the bench buddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.