6mm bullet of choice (big game)

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
No way would I be using bullets that are just basic cup core and more geared towards match. No bergers, elds, or dtac. Last thing you need is a bullet that might work and can perform drastically different depending on impact vel window.

For 6mm I would choose Badland's 100gr SBDII or Hammer's 101gr HH. Next step down 90gr AB

Elk are tough, if you are going to use a mouse gun you have to put the bullet where it belongs. Lots of elk have been poached with a .22 but it's not an elk cartridge … Just my opinion after being a guide for 20 years.

Elk are tough, if you are going to use a mouse gun you have to put the bullet where it belongs. Lots of elk have been poached with a .22 but it's not an elk cartridge … Just my opinion after being a guide for 20 years.
Pretty strange statement. You have to put every bullet where it belongs, regardless of caliber. Miss the vitals and animals don't die (at least not quickly). Put one in no-man's land between the spine and the lungs, and a 30 cal won't get it done either.

Lol mouse gun lol.....sorry, magnums are not needed to kill elk.

I wouldn't use a "bonded" or "mono". I would want a bullet that would cause as much tissue damage as possible. (Ie not a bonded or mono bullet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of choice? Not really but this blesbok ram gave up after an encounter with a pointed 6mm 105gr RDF from a .243AI. Distance was 500m on the nose. It was running about 3200fps from the muzzle IIRC. Tiny wind varying from 1-3mph made for a decent hold off but I ended up with a through and through on both shoulders and a ton of large blood vessels having opened up and said, "Ahhhhh" for me. In hindsight the pointing of the thing probably helped with getting an exit wound and keeping the thing from grenading on the first shoulder. It punched a lot of bone on the way through and left a ~10mm exit hole without doing a huge amount of meat damage. I'm just not a fan of 6mm on African game above the size of a springbok (a bit smaller than a pronghorn). This day it was a loaner rifle with match ammo not hunting ammo and I was a guest invited last minute so, catch as catch can. I was confident in my shot and I had passed up on many shots that day that I wasn't 100% on. It still died and didn't live but 20 seconds after the hit, it also didn't travel more than about 20-30m from the spot where it took the hit before piling up and it didn't seem to be really aware that it was walking at all after the hit. This is not advocacy of .243cal for big game or for match bullets, quite the opposite. This is nothing but a case of a shooter being more capable than the ammo deciding on going ahead and making a low percentage shot at longer than ideal range and everything turned out ok. I've shot wildebeest in the head from <200m with a .308, completely mushing the skull but the heart kept beating and the thing needed a coup d'gras. Make the decision that your soul can live with based on the knowledge and experience you have and not based on how you want things to turn out. If you do it bad you get to carry that regret with you forever. If you do it right you get to carry the victory with you forever, but you'll still know it was a bad idea to begin with if you're honest with yourself.

image-from-ios-21.jpg

Last edited:
For penetration, I like a sectional density of .280 or better. With a 6mm, I would definitely go with the heaviest bullet I could find. I've had great results with Berger 168 gr. VLD's in 7mm. My boss was a small man, and shot his first deer with a .22, so a .243 for elk seemed plenty. It is all about shot placement. He never did have an issue, but he wasn't shooting long range.

Bc it has worked once doesn't mean it is an adequate elk round. I'm not telling you what to shoot, but I wouldn't shoot one at an elk.
If you do, please keep in mind bullet placement would be absolutely essential with little to no room for error.

My preference would be a strong mono like the Peregrine, TTSK, or Hammers and simply not take any shot I could not guarantee to pass through the heart or heart lung junction with an absolute maximum range of 400yds.

I would have zero reservations about elk with a 105 vld or 108 elite hunter as long as you put the medicine where the pain is. Both those bullets kill bigger then they are. I always hear about how tough mountain goats are and about as much debate on bullets and cartridges for them as there is for elk. My wife piled up a 9 year old Billy a few weeks ago at 300 yards with a 6 creed and a 105 vld. Goat was on his feet for >3 seconds with a lung shot. Bullet went thru the back of the onside scapula and was actually caught in the hair on the exit side.

A you
If you do, please keep in mind bullet placement would be absolutely essential with little to no room for error.

My preference would be a strong mono like the Peregrine, TTSK, or Hammers and simply not take any shot I could not guarantee to pass through the heart or heart lung junction with an absolute maximum range of 400yds.
agreed. Though I know a lady who can't take more than a .243 for medical reasons…she's taken many elk with the 100 grain super x soft point BUT has the self discipline to only take broadside lung shots inside 200 yards. No funny business.

Bc it has worked once doesn't mean it is an adequate elk round. I'm not telling you what to shoot, but I wouldn't shoot one at an elk.
Never said that I took mine on an elk hunt. I was stuck with what the guide had. I have a Cooper in .270wby mag for that.