6mm bullet of choice (big game)

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Let's not let this derail into a caliber discussion. I do own 30 cal and 7mm mags. But IF you have taken your 6mm our for big game (elk in particular) how did it perform? Bullet of choice? Speeds? Distance?

There is alot to be said for a very low recoiling round that shoots bugholes with some of these new offerings like the 115 DTAC (nosering) going over 3k fps from a 6 creed, I'm considering giving it a go out to 500 or so next year.

I've heard from a few folks who've out rounds into cow elk shoulders at 500 and had impressive wounding/killing results.

Just looking for anymore first hand experiences good or bad.

Let's not let this derail into a caliber discussion. I do own 30 cal and 7mm mags. But IF you have taken your 6mm our for big game (elk in particular) how did it perform? Bullet of choice? Speeds? Distance?

There is alot to be said for a very low recoiling round that shoots bugholes with some of these new offerings like the 115 DTAC (nosering) going over 3k fps from a 6 creed, I'm considering giving it a go out to 500 or so next year.

I've heard from a few folks who've out rounds into cow elk shoulders at 500 and had impressive wounding/killing results.

I've seen elk killed with a 243 at medium range but I've also seen a bull killed that had a mushroomed 6mm in its shoulder and hind quarter that was all festered up.
Keep you range short and don't use DTACs they wont expand reliably, I'd go 115 berger vld.

I've seen elk killed with a 243 at medium range but I've also seen a bull killed that had a mushroomed 6mm in its shoulder and hind quarter that was all festered up.
Keep you range short and don't use DTACs they wont expand reliably, I'd go 115 berger vld.
Supposedly the new nosering DTACs are designed to facilitate expansion, allows that nose to crush on impact and start expansion.

My daughter shot a raghorn bull last year with a 6 Creed. 108gr. Elite hunters going 2994 fps out of a 22" barrel. Shot was taken from 320 yards and the bull travelled maybe 30 yards and tipped over. Perfect heart shot, bullet did not pass through.

Attachments

• 842505DB-61BD-48A1-866A-F6889D3C57DB.jpeg
    842505DB-61BD-48A1-866A-F6889D3C57DB.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 8E16082D-A298-4235-81C3-BE4D15E9E5D0.jpeg
    8E16082D-A298-4235-81C3-BE4D15E9E5D0.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 127

I had an elk hunt where my rifle didn't make it there due to the airlines snafu. The guide had his Remington Mohawk 600 in .243win that he handed to me the first morning. He was obviously very adept with the rifle. We found a 4x3 bull at around 215 yards he had me snuggle up to a tree and use a protruding knot to rest the little rifle. I felt woefully under gunned. He drew an elk in the dirt and told me to put the cross hairs "here" and squeeze. I did as directed. The elk seemed unfazed. I cycled another round and took aim and the guide said to wait. The elk walked in two very small circles and folded up. A single shot from a short barreled .243win shooting some flavor of factory hornady ammo 100gr bullet. This sold me on this little rifle and caliber. I got one in a model seven and have taken many many nice white tails with it.

High racking on a Nilgai hunt, buddy in the rack had a Model 7 243. Took a cow at about 100 yds, heart shot. Likely how a rifle performs is based on the shot placement more than anything else.
As stated above, close shot and wait on the perfect angle.
Caliber is less important than terminal energy. Valkyrie or 22 Nosler pushing a 100 or so grain bullet isn't much different than a .243.

I had an elk hunt where my rifle didn't make it there due to the airlines snafu. The guide had his Remington Mohawk 600 in .243win that he handed to me the first morning. He was obviously very adept with the rifle. We found a 4x3 bull at around 215 yards he had me snuggle up to a tree and use a protruding knot to rest the little rifle. I felt woefully under gunned. He drew an elk in the dirt and told me to put the cross hairs "here" and squeeze. I did as directed. The elk seemed unfazed. I cycled another round and took aim and the guide said to wait. The elk walked in two very small circles and folded up. A single shot from a short barreled .243win shooting some flavor of factory hornady ammo 100gr bullet. This sold me on this little rifle and caliber. I got one in a model seven and have taken many many nice white tails with it.
Bc it has worked once doesn't mean it is an adequate elk round. I'm not telling you what to shoot, but I wouldn't shoot one at an elk.