450 Bushmaster muzzle device for hunting

soflarick

16" length barrel. Intended for hunting in state that permits straight walled cartidges. Not very interested in a brake that creates a lot of concussion and flash. I was considering an drilled out A2 style muzzle device, and thought there might be something "better" out there.

I expect to need some kind of hearing protection hunting with the cartridge and a 16" barrel regardless of muzzle device.

Suggestions on what I'm looking for? Thanks.

It's a Bushmaster barrel, so I assume 11/16". After measuring the barrel and online research, it appears to be 11/16" diameter thread.

Last edited:
16" length barrel. Intended for hunting in state that permits straight walled cartidges. Not very interested in a brake that creates a lot of concussion and flash. I was considering an drilled out A2 style muzzle device, and thought there might be something "better" out there.

I expect to need some kind of hearing protection hunting with the cartridge and a 16" barrel regardless of muzzle device.

Suggestions on what I'm looking for? Thanks.

With a 16" barrel it will be very noisy and hearing protection Is highly
recommended with or without anything on the barrel.

My suggestion would be to buy something like the Vias brake to reduce the recoil to that of a 30/06 and with the many different holes/ports it should distribute the sound in all directions and eliminate muzzle flash.

Get one with the proper bore for the 45 cal bullet or muzzle flash will be impressive to say the least.

Something like this. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2225118034

J E CUSTOM

I guess I have to remeasure. Thank you for the information.

I wouldn't have considered a 450 BM, but they were practically giving away barrels at the CMP games. Last couple days were like a Sunday flea market; it's all gotta go.

I've done some websearching. I have brakes and comps on other items. For this platform, and intended use, I'd prefer less concussion and no fireball. I've seen the vais before, but never saw one "in action". Looks like a viable option. I fired a friend's OEM 450 that had an a2 style device, using 250 Hornady ammo. Recoil as I recall wasnt that bad. Good lunch, but not enough to flinch squeezing the trigger.

BE CAREFUL WITH ASSUMING THE THREAD PITCH!!!
I have a Factory Bushmaster AR-15 And a factory Ruger bolt action. Both have a 11/16 thread that work wonderful with my 45 cal suppressor. BUT— I bought a 450 barrel from Bear Creek Arsenal that has 5/8 thread set up for a 458 SOCOM This is inherently DANGEROUS as I could accidentally screw my 30 cal can to this barrel

Reading your 'wants', it sounds like you'd be best served with a LINEAR COMPENSATOR. Cuts recoil slightly BUT doesn't make gun any louder (actually, people report a slight decrease in apparent sound level at the shooter.)

This one will fit your gun, if thread pitch is as stated (11/16X24)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaw-Valley...omp-11-16x24-TPI-450-Bushmaster-/223356487045
Kaw Valley Precision 3.25" Magnum Linear Comp - 11/16x24 TPI (.450 Bushmaster)
upload_2019-8-8_10-6-22.png

I have a 458 socom from Wilson Combat. It has the WC flash hider( no brake). Recoil was a little much with heavy rounds until I put a slip-on limbsaver recoil pad on. Now it's great. I wouldn't want a brake; it's loud enough already. I think a 450 BM should be similar.
upload_2019-8-9_23-2-58.jpeg

That linear comp works great with sound reduction @ the shooter,. I have one on a 556 and I could shoot it without earplugs. The holes in the front through the muzzle blast forward

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.