any 450 bushmaster shooters on here

dgr416

I am interested into getting a 450 bushmaster .I have only.seen.ammo.and brass no guns shoot .I think.it's a good idea ! I.have a 454 so I.can use same bullets in both .I.think.the brass can.be made from 384 if I.have to .I have not seen reloading.data much for it .

I am interested into getting a 450 bushmaster .I have only.seen.ammo.and brass no guns shoot .I think.it's a good idea ! I.have a 454 so I.can use same bullets in both .I.think.the brass can.be made from 384 if I.have to .I have not seen reloading.data much for it .

Several years ago I put together a 450 bushmaster on an AR 15 platform and really like it.

I wanted a repeater for hog hunting and it really works good for hogs. Recoil is brisk in the AR platform but manageable. Here is a video of the rifle with some testing with a muzzle brake installed.
go to about half way through the video and you can see the 450 test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfPrlE5SX0

And yes the cases can be made from the 284 win.

The available bullets are .452 dia, and are designed for pistols, and some rifles so they perform well at 100+ yard velocities. I had thought about the 300+ bullets but never got around to it after it performed so well with the 250 flex tips.

J E CUSTOM

I put one together for elk hunting. As most shots where I hunt are in timber, it is ideal for that. Mine has been very accurate and I have a Hybrid silencer in stamp jail for it. I do not find the recoil bad, more like a 30-30 out of a 94 carbine than anything else.

I use a Leupold 2-7 x shotgun/muzzleloader scope on it which is calibrated to EXACTLY the same ballistics as the 250 gr Hornady load.

Plenty of factory ammo available and likely to be more as Ruger's bolt action American in 450 BM has had high demand and will drive more consumption of the ammo, increasing the likelihood of its viability as a consumer/commercial round.

Unfortunately, I have yet had the opportunity to kill an elk with it.

Not many people shoot them on this site because we are real men on here and shoot .458 socom. Just kidding I much prefer my socom as it has more stank behind it with much better bullet selection. That being said nothing wrong with .450 as a matter of fact I may get one. I live in a part of the state that has been shotgun only till recently now we can use the bushmaster and other straight wall cases that means 450 is out.

Not many people shoot them on this site because we are real men on here and shoot .458 socom. Just kidding I much prefer my socom as it has more stank behind it with much better bullet selection. That being said nothing wrong with .450 as a matter of fact I may get one. I live in a part of the state that has been shotgun only till recently now we can use the bushmaster and other straight wall cases that means 450 is out.

I can tell that you like the 458 Socom But you miss quoted the energies of the Socom. Of all the ammo available, the highest muzzle energy of the Socom is 2380 ft/lbs of energy.

The 450 bushmasters highest muzzle energy is 2743 ft/lbs of energy, 363 ft/lbs more than the Socom.

For you Michigan hunters, there is a new kid in town called a 460 S&W that Is awesome in a rifle.
I just finished testing my 460 rifle and was blown away by the velocity increase over the pistol.

The rifle raised the velocity by 572 ft/sec at 56,000 psi factory loading over the 8.5 '' pistol for a whopping 2933 ft/sec @ 3820 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. the 460 S&W is within the Michigan laws and has the range and energy to take down any big game.

I will post pictures of the rifle, specifications and ballistics as soon as I take some pictures and assemble the data (Soon). I wanted to build something that would fit in these guidelines for my brother-in-law who lives in your fair state, and I am very happy with the end results. I also intend to try some different bullets to get optimum performance.

I also have some rifle action recommendations for this round if anyone is interested.

J E CUSTOM

The 450 is a great round with a lot of punch from an AR15, especially if you are content using pistol bullets on thinner or medium skinned game. The 458 socom does have the benefit of using rifle bullets, but as JE mentioned, lacks over 350 ft lbs. I went the 458 route since I like SBRs and running subsonics, but for applications where you are only running supersonic out of a 16" or longer barrel, the 450 bushmaster and 50 Beowulf are likely better choices. 450 is great application for many roles.

I did a bunch of research before purchasing mine and when the same weight Bullets are used the socom always won that game. The bushmaster usually could only launch the 250 GR to get anything what the socom did with a 300. It's been Gone over many times on ar 15 and everything points to the socom being more powerful. Bullet weights equal it seems to win.
Although you are dead on about the .460 everyone is buying them for this area.

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,190
I forgot to add I think the bushmaster tends to shine with lighter 250 bullets and as you move heavier the socom starts to shine. I was looking at 300 GR plus so that may be why I choose it. It's been years but I still love it. As fact I just shot tip to tail through a large boar last week with the raptor bullet. I have done it with deer but I was shocked it did it with a large pig. Even more shocking is the petals exited through the shield which was very think. Luckily it did as I was standing in a small opening in the brush when others were pushing pigs out of the brush. He piped out stopped looked at me and never attempted to change course so I let him have it he went right down. All I could honk was wow I almost took my 300blk for this glad I didn't

I did a bunch of research before purchasing mine and when the same weight Bullets are used the socom always won that game. The bushmaster usually could only launch the 250 GR to get anything what the socom did with a 300. It's been Gone over many times on ar 15 and everything points to the socom being more powerful. Bullet weights equal it seems to win.

When I started this project the 45 Raptor wasn't out or I would have probably considered it. I still haven't found factory loads for the Raptor (Many people don't reload) but it does have it's strong points for the AR10s.

At any rate these big bores offer a lot for hogs. My only complaint about the 450 Bushmaster is that there is no heavy bullet ammo available from the factory.

At least you guys up north now have a better choice of fire arms and power.

J E CUSTOM

Yes we are getting better. I've taken over 50 large whitetail with my 300 Blk in our rifle zone. I have an amazing 20 gauge HR I love and works well at 200 yards so I'm finding it hard to buy a bushmaster. I have been toying with a .460 bolt action but time will tell if its in the cards. I still need to add a Grendel first. And Im still really wanting to get a .357 mag in an AR but its looking like everyone gave up on that deal.

For you Michigan hunters, there is a new kid in town called a 460 S&W that Is awesome in a rifle.
I just finished testing my 460 rifle and was blown away by the velocity increase over the pistol.

J E CUSTOM

A dealer here in MI was offering Ruger American rifles with 22 inch barrels. This was a non-stock special order. 3 of us here purchased some a month ago, and look forward to using them this fall.

As much as I like my 35 Rem lever actions, the only commonly available 460 S&Ws are levers, and I opted to go with bolt actions with longer barrels.

I can tell that you like the 458 Socom But you miss quoted the energies of the Socom. Of all the ammo available, the highest muzzle energy of the Socom is 2380 ft/lbs of energy.

The 450 bushmasters highest muzzle energy is 2743 ft/lbs of energy, 363 ft/lbs more than the Socom.

The rifle raised the velocity by 572 ft/sec at 56,000 psi factory loading over the 8.5 '' pistol for a whopping 2933 ft/sec @ 3820 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. the 460 S&W is within the Michigan laws and has the range and energy to take down any big game.

I will post pictures of the rifle, specifications and ballistics as soon as I take some pictures and assemble the data (Soon). I wanted to build something that would fit in these guidelines for my brother-in-law who lives in your fair state, and I am very happy with the end results. I also intend to try some different bullets to get optimum performance.

I also have some rifle action recommendations for this round if anyone is interested.

J E CUSTOM

got pics of that gun?

Bolt, lever, single shot?

The graph you posted is screwy. How does the same bullet fired from two different cartidges at the identical muzzle velocity produce different velocity and energy values down range?

Not my graph but i would assume it had something to do with BC maybe? They have terrible bc so they may slow faster. And it would not be the same bullet just same weight as one is .452 and the other is .458. That's the problem with the whole debate in general. The only 250gr socom Bullets offered in factory ammo is from a company know for excessively slow ammo. And no one loads 300gr bushmaster. Many guys are basing the choice off of handloads that are at book max. So a lot depends of where you get info. The only Factory socom 250gr ammo is rated at the same muzzle velocity as Corbon and others 300gr pills so very hard to decide which is better. I choose the socom for bullet selection and just like giving the bushy guys ****.