.338 A-Square rifle

Just got home from a 4 day trip last night, so haven't had a chance to negociate the return or partial refund. Did call before we left and tell the guy what I had found.

I know where there is a .35 Whelen barrel that could maybe be rechambered to .358 Norma Mag. It was pulled out of a Remington M-30S. Depends on if there's enough shank to suit me, if I can find an unopened P-14 bolt, and if the Whelen will reliably feed out of the magazine. Probably will just ask for my money back.

No matter, the rifle will not end up as an ELR rifle. Oh well.

Tom

Before you do that see if someone has messed with the magazine also. Remove the barreled action from the stock. A-Sq magazines are made from four plates welded to each other, then TIG'ed to the bottom of the receiver. If the magazine is okay, you can re-barrel to the original .338 A-Sq. Another bargaining tool.

I have a 338 asquare that art built for me about 17 years ago. Mine has a 26" barrel that he recominded because I mainly hunt out of blinds. I have form dies that take down 378 brass to the 338 with no problem. If you use 416 brass you will need to take it down to 378 first or you will just crush the neck. Due to the length of the barrel, asquare factory ammo was pretty hot and so were the pressures. I ended up with alot of split necks, so I dropped the powder down a bit and everything was fine.
I load with 98 gr of 4831, 200 gr ballastic tips. Velocity is 3100 fps and 5 shot group at 100 yrs is about .25 in. Art wrote about me in his reloading manual under the 338 asquare. My rifle has a leopold 6.5 x 14 tactical scope with mildots. It will explode cottontails at 500+ yards with no problem. This is the only rifle that I hunt with anymore since he built it for me. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Got a big price reduction (as a donor) because of the rechambering. The agreement is for me to pull the barrel and give it to him. Neither of us wants an A-Square that has been messed with, and he doesn't want the liability of a gun altered to .338 x .378 even if it would work. Not sure what I'll do with the rifle, but I won't go back to a .338 A-Square. Maybe a .338 Lapua? I do have the forming die, and full length set (all RCBS), some formed brass, etc. that will be for sale.

The magazine is a fabrication and is tack welded to the bottom of the rails. I haven't tried the .358 Norma in the magazine, but I doubt it'll latch in. The Lapua might.

Thanks to all.

Tom

Yeah, I hate that it was messed with, but I'd have to buy the A-Square reamer, and I have a .338 Lapua reamer.

Tom

If you have the 338 a-square form dies any .338 reamer will work as all you are doing is reaming out the neck to .338 tolerances.

Art created both the 338 A-Square and the 338 Excaliber. Both are pretty extreme calibers, with the A-Square getting a 250gr Sierra to 3,145 fps, and the Excaliber about 100 fps faster. His book "Any shot you want" lists multiple loads for each rifle.

If you want a matching pair, I have an A-Square in 338-06 A-Square listed on Guns Intl...I'd do $1,775 shipped for it.

A-Square Hamilcar in 338-06 A-Square - A Square Rifles

Reloader 17 @ 61.0
WLRM primer
WW cases
225 Accuboond

Most excellent in WBY UL 338-06

2700 FPS in 24"

Ended up fitting the .35 Whelen barrel to it. Changed out the bullet follower. Rounds lock in, and it seems like it may feed O.K.! Need to get to the range and test fire it and check it out. I found 8 rds of .35 Whelen ammo. If it doesn't work out, I can still go to the .358 Norma Mag.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.