.338 A-Square rifle

specweldtom

Found one of these available at a good price. It's a shortened and re-shouldered .338-.378 Wby case on a much modified WW1 Winchester P-14 action. Don't know who made the barrel. The black composite stock looks like it may be a McMillan.

Ballistics appear similar to the .338 Lapua or .338 RUM. The chamber is too big to re-chamber in .338 Lapua, and the bolt face is too big for the RUM.

Forming and loading dies are available with the rifle, so I could just form, load and shoot it as is.

A-Square is apparently out of business. Neither of their phones work. The website is still up, but is a dead end.

If anyone has info about this rifle, I would like to know more about it. It should be an excellent L/R or EL/R caliber.

Thanks, Tom

That's too bad to hear about A-Square, in the discussions I had with Art, I perceived him as a very decent passionate dude. Very willing to help with anything I needed & went out of his way to return my calls.

I can't help much with info on the rifle but I would guess the barrel (if it was an A-Square build) is probably a Lothar-Walther as Art talked very highly of them & suggested I contact them for a barrel.

Art really got shafted when he turned the company over, after retaking control it seems as though he couldn't save a sinking ship.

t

Thanks t.
I went over and looked at the rifle again. It is an A-Square build. Marked on Rt side of barrel shank, and caliber on the left side. The whole thing is coated with something, maybe Ceracote, so I can't tell if the barrel is cr/moly or stainless, but it may be a Walther.

The rifle is a little pricey, but if I can, I'll probably pick it up. Got to try negociating it down some.

I appreciate the reply and info. Not much info available on the rifle in this caliber.

Tom

Thanks t.
I went over and looked at the rifle again. It is an A-Square build. Marked on Rt side of barrel shank, and caliber on the left side. The whole thing is coated with something, maybe Ceracote, so I can't tell if the barrel is cr/moly or stainless, but it may be a Walther.

The rifle is a little pricey, but if I can, I'll probably pick it up. Got to try negociating it down some.

I appreciate the reply and info. Not much info available on the rifle in this caliber.

Tom

I have A-Square's loading manual, if you need any data, just let me know.

t

t, I have a few loads on a pc of paper that appears to be of A-Square origin. I'll P/M you my email address if that will work for you. I'm not good on computers, so don't know any other way to get the data you have.

Nitro, I'd like to know who made the barrel, if it's stainless, and who made the stock for starters. Also would like to know when it was built if possible. I can get the serial number tomorrow and P/M it to you if that will help.

Just got home today from N. Texas and don't have the rifle yet. We may have a trade in the works.

Thanks to both of you for helping.

Tom

t, I have a few loads on a pc of paper that appears to be of A-Square origin. I'll P/M you my email address if that will work for you. I'm not good on computers, so don't know any other way to get the data you have.

Thanks to both of you for helping.

Tom

Tom, i'm fine with that, send me your addy & I'll get you the data.

& you're welcome :cool:

t

For info for your rifle, you should contact The Broadsword Group as they bought everything A-Square and may have the production records which will tell you what you want to know.

In a conversation I had with Art back around 1999, he told me my .500 A-Square Hannibal rifle was made in 1993 from the receiver serial number. So I do know at that time he had records of each rifle.

Welcome to Broadsword Group

Art began by using McGowen barrels while they were still being made in Illinois (I think that is where they were based). There was some fuss when Art brought a batch of barrels back for a refund claiming the barrels were bent, and the old man refused to provide refund as he claimed the bend in the barrel was due to the secondary recoil lug Art was having TIG'ed to the bottom of the barrel. Where Art went for barrels after that, I do not know.

I do remember seeing A-Sq. advertising that barrels were stainless and everything being coated in Black T, which is maybe some Teflon finish?

The wood stocks were made in-house. And that stock will keep you from being smacked around, they are odd-feeling at first, and some don't like them, so if you decide you need to get rid of it, let me know. If you have a synthetic those were, and are currently still, being made by MPI Stocks:

http://mpistocks.com/

Art was enamored with short barrels, my .500 is 23 1/4" and my .338 is 24 5/8". According to the A-Square manual you can get 3150 with 250gr. Sierra SBT. I have quite a few cartridges loaded for the range but the past many weeks it has been just above zero *, blowing over 25mph and cold, raining (!!!), or snowing. I haven't been to the range or I would give you some velocity and pressures with RL-25 and RL-33 using Lapua 250gr. I cannot find the Sierra for sale anywhere.

Hope this helps.
If you call Broadsword, you'll talk to Viki, the office manager, she knows her stuff.

Nitro, good info! Thanks for the links. I'll try them tomorrow. The stock is not wood, and if I get the rifle, I'll check for a 2nd recoil lug. Didn't see that one coming!

Outlaw, P/M on the way. Thank you.

Tom

I got your email Tom, I'll send the data shortly.

On a side note, does anyone know who manufactured the A-Square brass? I have about 100pcs 358STA sitting here & got to thinking about where it was made...

t

Outlaw, Nitro; the pieces of brass I saw were resized from .378 and .416 Wby brass. I have some .338 x .378 brass, but there is the chance that I might mess up and get the A-Square into my .338 x .378 Wby because of the headstamp. I don't have a .378 or .416, so it would make sense to use them.

A-Square headstamped brass would be ideal.

Tom

Making .338 A-Sq from .338/378 would be ideal. Making them from .378 is a pain in the butt. You will not mistake the Weatherby from A-Sq. and vica-versa. Quality Cartridge will make a batch, but they need an order for 1000 before they'll do it.

www.ch4d.com will have the forming die set in stock.

Well, crap!
Picked up the rifle, checked headspace, and went to the range. Remote test fired it in the Lead Sled. Shoulder split in 6 places. Upon close examination, the chamber had been reamed out to .338 x .378 Wby, and not re-marked. Verified with a new .338 x .378 hull. Chambered perfectly.

Not sure what I'll do now. Give the rifle back, or make a lower offer and use it as a donor.

Thanks to both of you,

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.