.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

The 225gr BTHP has an advertised B.C of .670. I could see some gain by adding a tip which seems to be the only difference but a full point I don't see it.

I have fine tuned my load for a upcoming Hells Canyon Idaho mule deer hunt...
83 gr of H1000
cci 250's
Norma Brass
Berger 230
2940 fps with a SD of 9
Nice consistent clover leafs at 100 yards out of my custom BAT Machine boomstick
~ BAT action, manners carbon fiber T2A, Broughton 5.75 24", Thunderbeast can, Timmny Calvin elite trigger topped with a Schmidt Bender 5-20 Ultrashort locking turrets scope.... 12.5 pounds fully dressed.

At the Rock Creek rifle range, Cheney, Wa, this Sunday, it was pounding steel out to the full size steel elk at 1260 yards. first round hits at 7 different ranges was very satisfying!
Fine tune Scott..... they say the greatest complement is when you're work has been copied! lol So in other words, you switched from using Retumbo to almost duplicating my load of 83.5 H1000…. Basically you hit the "That was Easy" button! :)

No worries, that's why I post on here, saving one barrel at a time..... or is that your time and the barrel? Either way it only took me a nano second to pull that out of my brain and have it work perfectly in less then 10 rounds! Glad to hear it worked out that well!

Regular Joe

Good luck on your hunt.....

Who built your rifle and do you have some pics of it?
Daryle Thom from BAT Machine built the rifle... its a hammer for sure. It anchored this little buck from 600 yards up a 40 degree slope. I used the super handy riflesticks atlas extensions to get the height I needed for the shot.

Pic 1. The rifle with Riflesticks
Pic 2 Down the slope
Pic 3 Berger 230's are rough on meat... done with them!

Pics wouldnt upload??

I am rolling along with both of these threads, so I hope I can copy this info here?

wvlongshot said:
Is anyone using the Berger tactical, tan box bullets on big game? Mainly in 338 cal. 300gr & 30 cal. 230gr.
These things sure are hard on steel targets compared to the match bullet.
since you are looking for actual performance on big game with 2 specific bullets:

my first report is not good. 230OTM at 100yds on a whitetail doe was me being the spotter for my gun and calling for a shot just to the right off the top shoulder line (a bit to the right due to a slightly rt angled shot away from and above tgt.) AKA: deer broadside and facing a bit away below us.

bang, "thought" shot looked good? just before dark so light, well? idk?

deer fell over sideways bawled once, rolled completely over and slightly out of sight, while we reloaded, my other buddy watched it run away! ***? shot placement wrong ? bullet too hard to expand? I sure wish now that I was the shooter.

we did not recover deer to find out! incredibly unbelievable but it happened.

am I done with them, NO!

more actual reports please.....

yes, my 6.5x47 140VLD , DTR a 8pt at 450yds.

why the 230 did not work, without a recovered deer, can not truthfully be answered. was it bullet failure or actual hit placement? IDK

that deer should have never got up!

I am thinking of going back to the 210 Hunting but hate to give up the bc

is there a actual performance difference on game between the 230OTM and 230 Target bullets?

is the 230 Target bullet similar to the hunting bullet, I just bought another 100/230OTM I can still exchange them for 100/230 Target ?

I previously used 208Amax successfully but jumped on the 230OTMBC Boat?

Broz???

that deer should have never got up!

I am thinking of going back to the 210 Hunting but hate to give up the bc

is there a actual performance difference on game between the 230OTM and 230 Target bullets?

is the 230 Target bullet similar to the hunting bullet, I just bought another 100/230OTM I can still exchange them for 100/230 Target ?

I previously used 208Amax successfully but jumped on the 230OTMBC Boat?

Broz???
A 230 gr FMJ 300 cal thru a vital would be quickly fatal. I would figure a bad hit.

Daryle Thom from BAT Machine built the rifle... its a hammer for sure. It anchored this little buck from 600 yards up a 40 degree slope. I used the super handy riflesticks atlas extensions to get the height I needed for the shot.

Pic 1. The rifle with Riflesticks
Pic 2 Down the slope
Pic 3 Berger 230's are rough on meat... done with them!

Pics wouldnt upload??

would that be the Berger 230 OTM or 230 Hybrid target bullet?

my first report is not good. 230OTM at 100yds on a whitetail doe was me being the spotter for my gun and calling for a shot just to the right off the top shoulder line (a bit to the right due to a slightly rt angled shot away from and above tgt.) AKA: deer broadside and facing a bit away below us.

bang, "thought" shot looked good? just before dark so light, well? idk?

deer fell over sideways bawled once, rolled completely over and slightly out of sight, while we reloaded, my other buddy watched it run away! ***? shot placement wrong ? bullet too hard to expand? I sure wish now that I was the shooter.

we did not recover deer to find out! incredibly unbelievable but it happened.

am I done with them, NO!

more actual reports please.....

yes, my 6.5x47 140VLD , DTR a 8pt at 450yds.

why the 230 did not work, without a recovered deer, can not truthfully be answered. was it bullet failure or actual hit placement? IDK
The answer is the one that eluded you, although from the sound of it your friend certainly did hit the deer. At that distance the bullet surely would have expanded enough had the Doe been shot in the vitals. Just like buying a house or property.... Location, location, location, and sometimes we all get it wrong by accident. Live and learn as the say.

ok, it will be called a bad hit then.

is there a actual performance difference on game between the 230OTM and 230 Hybrid Target bullets?

Ive hunted exclusive with the 300 otm in 2 different rifles for about the last 6 years.My son and I mainly on rifle and a friend of his.Taken alot of game from speed goats to moose,40 yrds to 850.Only one not recovered was his friend on a 600 yrd bear, where he shot not when I advised and when it was walking down hill,it was bad shot judgement my him.Ive blew holes threw elk that left a unbelievable blood trail.

rem 700, ptg one piece bolt
brux 1:9 m24 contour 26''
mcmillian a5 adjustable
little bastard brake
nf atacr
16.5lbs

Attachments

• P1030888.jpg
    P1030888.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 85
  • P1030889.jpg
    P1030889.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.