.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

I'd imagine that 93grs would be hot. I have a 30-338 Norma Imp and in Norma brass (I used 300 Norma brass initial but use 423 Dakota now) with 230's my load was 91grs of R-33 for 3045fps in a 30" barrel. 92grs and the primer pockets would open in 3 firings. My case holds 5+ grs more than a standard. A lot of guys are reaching for that next node with standard Norma's but they burn up cases trying to get there. Mine is throttled back 50+ fps from the top end

Velocity isnt by biggest priority to be hones was just trying some loads based on bergers data to find a node but their middle data has all seemed to be full house. I wasnt planning on my brass lasting more than 4 as much as it stretched after the first firing.

My 27" hawk hill sped up to 3038 with 92.3 rl33 at just under 100 rds on it. That's a bit warm but just had minor ejector marks and a hint of primer cratering.

It was showing 2930ish with 95.5 h50bmg. Rretumbo shoots tight too bit velocity is erratic.

Might run a h50bmg load on the regular for brass/barrel life and keep a rl33 load ready if I want that extra 70-100 fps.

Haven't reloaded any cases yet, by how easy the primers popped out it probably won't be good..

Last edited:
The 300 Long Range Hunter obliterates the 220 Gr ELDX (ExtremeLy **** eXplosive) on 50 yard water jugs at 3246 fps muzzle velocity, they remind me of the SST bullets !

And this is in a 10 tw 5R Bartlein barrel, I wonder what my 8 tw Rock Creek will do to these bullets,

poof ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 95
Went out and did some more load development at 400 and again had awesome results at 92.7 gr of RE 33which is a brass eater. Pressure seems to spike around the 92.5 mark and my loads beneath that dont seem to do very well. RE 50 seems to be the same thing csnt get warm enough to find a node.

Attachments

• 20160709_182645.jpg
    20160709_182645.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 58
That load is lights out accurate in my stick. I'm going to mess around with Retumbo and see if I can get a little more velocity and keep the accuracy. Not following you - what is OBT?
Sorry for not replying back about your question, but I didn't see it until now!

OBT=Optimal Barrel Time. Basically it's the harmonics of the barrel, and having the bullet leave the muzzle of the barrel while the harmonic wave is at the back of the barrel at the action. Most people are using Quick Load looking for the B-time that relates to the OBT which is based on barrel length, and the node(s) for that barrel length.

I've always been old school looking for the velocity to flatten even with increases in powder charges, and the POI remaining the same as well. Most of the work I've done I later went back to see how what I ended up with for a load correlated to the OBT B-time(s) from QL. I don't have the program so I usually asked someone else for that date after supplying them with the COAL, and the water capacity of the case used.

I later learned just how close I was to this theory that is now more accessible using QL.

Good luck.

Sorry for not replying back about your question, but I didn't see it until now!

OBT=Optimal Barrel Time. Basically it's the harmonics of the barrel, and having the bullet leave the muzzle of the barrel while the harmonic wave is at the back of the barrel at the action. Most people are using Quick Load looking for the B-time that relates to the OBT which is based on barrel length, and the node(s) for that barrel length.

I've always been old school looking for the velocity to flatten even with increases in powder charges, and the POI remaining the same as well. Most of the work I've done I later went back to see how what I ended up with for a load correlated to the OBT B-time(s) from QL. I don't have the program so I usually asked someone else for that date after supplying them with the COAL, and the water capacity of the case used.

I later learned just how close I was to this theory that is now more accessible using QL.

Good luck.

Interesting. I'm familiar with the concept but had never heard the term. Thanks for the info.

Interesting. I'm familiar with the concept but had never heard the term. Thanks for the info.

Here's the hyperlink to the Optimal Barrel Time Concept:

Optimal Barrel Time Concept

It's been widely used, and is not just a theory, but accepted research that points out the fact the data is real, and does work.

It's based on barrel length, and not difficult to understand, or use.

Well, I'm really having fun with the 300NM and I'll be sending parts to GAP this week for a dedicated LR hunting rig. Specs:

McM A3 in GAP camo
Templar V2
Bartlein Rem Varmint contour 1-10" finished at 27"
Badger M-5 DBM
Badger thruster brake
Finished in mil-spec OD green

Attachments

• 7924FDEC-EFF4-45A1-B033-1CDF4E6CEB97_zps6jcapohp.jpg
    7924FDEC-EFF4-45A1-B033-1CDF4E6CEB97_zps6jcapohp.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts