.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

Just re-read they thread FOUR years after posting it.

406 Precision, that magazine is what made me post this question. I'd get a rifle in .300 NM but after thinking it over I already have dies for .300 Win mag so I better stay with it.

Eric B.

I got my 300NM build in a month ago and started out shooting the ABM 230 hybrid target ammunition.

My question for the thread is can this bullet be trusted hunting everything from antelope to elk?

I don't shoot the 230, but the Berger 215 hybrid is a hammer in my 300 Norma Imp. I've shot Antelope, deer and elk with devastating results.

Thanks for that information. I have been worried about hybrid targets not exspanding and passing thru on thin skinned game taking shots behind the shoulder.

I sure will give the 215's a try on my next order. A little faster and a little flatter seems to be the correct way to go on game as small as antelope.

Thanks for that information. I have been worried about hybrid targets not exspanding and passing thru on thin skinned game taking shots behind the shoulder.

I sure will give the 215's a try on my next order. A little faster and a little flatter seems to be the correct way to go on game as small as antelope.

Exit hole at 475 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 190
Once again thanks all.

The hybrid target looks like a very good performer on game.

You guys got an opinion 215 vs 230?

Either bullet will get the job done with authority. I would listen to your rifle: whichever it likes better is the one I'd go with.

GAP recently finished up my 300NM hunting build. This cartridge is freakishly accurate. This is a 5-shot group at 102y I shot this afternoon during load work up. 88gr of N570 under a 215. The wind was howling today - 25-30mph - so a little bit of horizontal. Time to stretch her legs!

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 174
Jonthomps, have you shot a barrel out on one yet? If so how many did it take? I'm at around 370 and thinking of getting another one chambered just in case there is a wait.

Jonthomps, have you shot a barrel out on one yet? If so how many did it take? I'm at around 370 and thinking of getting another one chambered just in case there is a wait.

My 26" Proof Research had around 500 through it & was looking "a bit rough" say 1/2-2/3 of its life according to the bore scope guru that appraised it.

It was with him because I had neglected it & let a lot of carbon build up occur :rolleyes:

It was inaccurate & over pressuring, I thought it was dead & the Defiance was heavily primary extracting.

I figured out the round count then realized the brass was on its 9-11th firing & was way too hard which was causing the primary extraction issues, just like my 338 Normas lightbulb

After he removed the carbon, it was just as accurate with the original 230 target hybrid load, I tried the 225 ELDM with outstanding results as well, which it is running now.

I prepped up some new brass, the primary extraction issues disappeared, happy days.

Lent it to a client after major dramas with a local Carbon Barrel build, that will never happen again.....

Its performing flawlessly again :cool:

I haven't shot a barrel out yet on a 300NM. Most guys I've talked to or read about usually get between 1200-1500rds. Of course, barrel life depends on how much a shooter hotrods their loads!