.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

Nice rifle and shooting :)
Why did you want to give up the Norma?
The 570 load, is it close to max? Any pressure signs on brass?
Barrel length?

Nice rifle and shooting :)
Why did you want to give up the Norma?
The 570 load, is it close to max? Any pressure signs on brass?
Barrel length?

Thanks! I have a 338LM as well as a 300NM. I was thinking of giving up the Norma because I wasn't getting the performance out of the brass I thought I should be getting - 3-4 reloads max. But, I think I was pushing it too hard. This is a close-to-max load. I loaded a few at 90gr of N570 and I was averaging 3184fps but was getting pretty good ejector marks. Backed it off to 88gr and... PRESTO! Zero pressure signs and still 3150fps. I have a 28" med palma barrel. Zeroed at 100y + only 1 mil to 356y = Awesome, lol.

Perfect :)
I hope Norma brass will be better in the future.
Have you tested 230 berger with N-570?

You've been reading my mail :D The 230's and N570 are up next! I'll post my range results to this thread. I really wish Norma would make better brass too, or another manufacturer (like Lapua or RWS) would step up and make 300NM brass.

You've been reading my mail :D The 230's and N570 are up next! I'll post my range results to this thread. I really wish Norma would make better brass too, or another manufacturer (like Lapua or RWS) would step up and make 300NM brass.

Have you made some 300 or 338 Norma mag brass from Lapua ?

I have for both & didn't really find an appreciable difference, well not enough for me to want to go to the trouble to build enough Lapua brass to run for the life of the barrel.

It may be different if it was purpose made for the Norma mag & not a modified case ?

I haven't fired it enough yet.

Even if the Lapua lasts longer than the Norma at the same velocities it needs too for the extra cost of the brass as well as the time taken to form it :)

Have you made some 300 or 338 Norma mag brass from Lapua ?

I have for both & didn't really find an appreciable difference, well not enough for me to want to go to the trouble to build enough Lapua brass to run for the life of the barrel.

It may be different if it was purpose made for the Norma mag & not a modified case ?

Interesting you haven't found any difference between Norma and Lapua brass. I can get 6-7 reloads on my 338LM brass with pretty hot loads (90gr H1000 w/ 300gr Berger). With my Norma, after about 3-4 they're done.

I'm not into forming brass when formed brass is commercially available - too much hassle!

Interesting you haven't found any difference between Norma and Lapua brass. I can get 6-7 reloads on my 338LM brass with pretty hot loads (90gr H1000 w/ 300gr Berger). With my Norma, after about 3-4 they're done.

I'm not into forming brass when formed brass is commercially available - too much hassle!

Yes but that is 338 LM brass not 300 or 338 NM brass.

You are right the Norma/Nosler brass is softer than the Lapua brass in all the calibres I have compared them.

Norma made the 338 NM to compete head to head with the 338 LM if the case design or brass was as soft as "normal" Norma brass it wouldn't have been close.

A problem I see with the 338 NM is its lack of case taper & as the brass gets old it is unwilling to extract as easily as it should & is therefore junk even though the pockets are still in good shape, great primary extraction defiantly helps a lot with this.

This is the problem I have with my Barrett 98B I re-barrelled years ago to 338 NM from 338 LM after I gave up on the crap factory barrel.

I got a big Lilja barrel put into it at great expense, man does it shoot mint, but I can only run it at around 2750 fps with 300 Bergers, even then case life is less than desirable & it gets real old trying to pull the bolt back with the absence of primary extraction to help me.

I converted my first 100 bits of old brass into 510 Whisper brass because it was way to good to throw out.

Thankfully the 300 NM has a bit more case taper than its big brother :)

I`ve done a 338 Norma IMP with 35* shoulder, and a little more taper than std 338 Norma.
My 30" PacNor Match 1-9 twist is just finished, and I`m really curious about speed and brass life..
I dont think Sarver`s 300/338 HULK has much more taper than the 338 Norma Mag?

Anyone have any experience with N570 temp stability? I've looked and can't find anything. My 300NM loves it, but being a double base powder I'm not sure how temp stable it will be.