.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

I'm getting my new Gradous 300 norma ready for an elk hunt in September. I'm very pleased with it.

The first picture is a group at 890 yards.

The second picture is a group at 400 yards.

Virgin brass, 84 grains of H1000, 230 berger hybrid, 26 inch barrel, just over 2900 fps, with a Harvester suppressor, off an Atlas bipod with a rear bag.

Attachments

• 300 norma 900 yard group.jpg
    300 norma 900 yard group.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 109
What speeds do you get out of the 300 Jazz with 230 Berger?
How is brass life?

I have 100 on the bench but haven't tested any yet.

I have 4 reloads on my brass and they are starting to eject hard and the primer pockets are getting loose. I lowered my charge weight 1 grain and they seem to be good now as far as ejecting. I'll try to get a few more reloads before I replace them.

I'm getting my new Gradous 300 norma ready for an elk hunt in September. I'm very pleased with it.

Virgin brass, 84 grains of H1000, 230 berger hybrid, 26 inch barrel, just over 2900 fps, with a Harvester suppressor, off an Atlas bipod with a rear bag.

That's impressive.

Good groups. Thanks for sharing the load data. Where's a picture of the Gradous beast!?

Thats awesome! I am testing the 230 Bergers and 210 ABLR this weekend out of my BAT Machine 300 NM. I hope to get something like this!

Here's my Gradous rifle.

Surgeon 1086 action - bolt face opened
McMillan Rem hunter stock
Krieger 1in9 barrel
Jewell trigger

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 92
I've been following this thread for a while now and am so impressed with everyone's results with this cartridge that I would like to make it my first ELR build. Has anyone had the good fortune to have shot theirs enough to figure out an anticipated range for barrel life, maintaining "acceptable accuracy" (I know it's a subjective term, but would like a ballpark.) Is it comparable to the RUM or did we luck out and get WSM life?

I've been following this thread for a while now and am so impressed with everyone's results with this cartridge that I would like to make it my first ELR build. Has anyone had the good fortune to have shot theirs enough to figure out an anticipated range for barrel life, maintaining "acceptable accuracy" (I know it's a subjective term, but would like a ballpark.) Is it comparable to the RUM or did we luck out and get WSM life?

It's a pretty impressive round. The 1000-1200 round mark is where most people seem to be replacing their barrels. It should hold 1/2 MOA until then.

Something else to be aware of: brass life is not the best. It's not a deal breaker, but Norma brass is a little on the soft side. I run my brass pretty hard (read, "he shoots hot loads") and have been getting 3-4 reloads per brass. 3-4 reloads has also been the general consensus among several other 300NM shooters.

Thanks jonthomps for the reply. I may need to find a local gunsmithing/reloading class at the college where a bunch of students are willing to pay for the opportunity to gain experience in converting Lapua brass into 300NM.... lightbulb:D. If this little project gets under way any time soon, that may be the ticket. Any advice on barrel length, 9or 10 twist (for Berger 215s/230s) Is a 35/40 degree shoulder improved version something to play around with? Im set up for reloading, but have no experience in loading/shooting improved anythings. Maybe this should be another thread, but it seems there are a few 300 NM shooters reading this one....

Sold my 300NM, posted the following for sale:

300NM Redding type S bushing neck die and body die: $200
TiNi Redding .336 bushing: $20

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts