3 out of 4 elk tags filled.

barnesuser28

Hey all, i meant to write this sooner, but i had a busy week and didnt get a chance to get it done.

My dad, little brother (Colin), myself, and a friend of ours (Shawn), got to Colorado on the evening of Oct. 10 for elk during the first rifle, so we got one afternoon to scout before the season opened. We got up the next morning and after a couple hours we saw a herd of elk go over the top of a ridge at 900 yards, the shot was very doable but they went over the hill before we could get dialed in. We drove over to a draw where we thought they might filter into but another hunter got there before us and got a cow out of the herd so it was anyones guess where they went. We hunted the evening but didnt see anything. The next morning, we went to the draw, and maybe a half hour later we saw the same herd on the hillside next to us. I ranged them at 880 yards, but i was the only one with a long range rifle so we decided to get closer. We dipped down a small draw and over a small ridge, i ranged them again at 330 yards. We can do that. My little brother and Shawn had "Any" tags while i had a cow/calf tag. My dad got Colin on the biggest bull and he dropped him on the first shot with his 270 and 130 partitions. Then my dad got Shawn on the next biggest bull and he dropped him with his first shot from his 7mag and 175 partitions (my reloads). So now its my turn.... But there arent any cows in the herd! All bulls.... Except for one calf.. Soooo Colin handed me his gun (the bipod legs on my gun werent tall enough) and i drop the calf with one shot. After i shot the calf, we were all in shock and awe. It was madness.

Here are some pics.

Colin's bull

Shawn's bull

My calf

Now thats a hard day of packing lol. Is there any left for the rest of us? lol Only hope my montana hunt goes that well good shooting to the whole lot!

Thanks, as my Dad put it, "that was like shooting antelope!"

We got all the meat out in one trip, we had a sled that we loaded up and drug behind us. Worked really well! Saved us a ton of time and energy.

We are booked already for next year, we are bringing my uncle, sorry Rhian. :D

Thanks, as my Dad put it, "that was like shooting antelope!"

We got all the meat out in one trip, we had a sled that we loaded up and drug behind us. Worked really well! Saved us a ton of time and energy.

We are booked already for next year, we are bringing my uncle, sorry Rhian. :D
Can we see a picture of that sled ? I am Planning on a Colorado trip for 2016

We use a jet sled in the larger sizes. Gut the elk and then roll them into the sled. Where I'm hunting we then use a 4 wheeler to get it to the truck. Congrats Riley. Good shooting. Sounds a lot like our group. My grandson and I got 2 bulls that were 5X5's and my son a 2 1/2 yr old cow. Lots of great meat. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts