2751 yard testing of the LRKM

+1 on Bullet Flight

Shawn, Have you tried any Norma 300 RUM brass yet, for .20 cents more a case it would be a cheap upgrade over Remington if the consistency and quality are better. I just back ordered some so we will see.

Congrats on the +P its a real contribution to the LR shooting community to get a 300 grainer to those velocities safely on a rem 700.

Rocky Mountain - we have had very consistent results at subsonic velocities with the OTM, it is awesome. I am using 3 BC bands right now, a fourth may be needed for these extreme ranges but we have not had any issues that we could for sure pin on a BC problem.

264 WM - 3137 fps out of our test rifle, but a 30" hart is going to shoot them 3050-3075 fps all day long.

CA48 - We tried the Norma and found while the consistencey was great the brass was quite a bit softer than hte Remington causing it to drop 100 fps at the same relative pressure.

Have you considered using the A-Square 338 Excalibur? They claim 3600fps with there 200gr factory ammo which I would think that a reloader could improve on that.

Yes, Brass until you go into tee 338 EDGE +P, then that is a whole different ball game.

Jeff

Thats a little confusing to someone that doesn't know better. The lapua brass is still superior, but, the edge+P shoots a alot faster. Time will tell how the remington primer pockets hold up to shawns new creation. Can you imagine the sales lapua would get if they made RUM brasslightbulb.

It's not just that Lapua brass is better brass. It is, but the 338 Lapua brass in particular is manufactured with a very thick web that will withstand a bit higher pressure for more firings than most brass. Many believe 338 Lapua brass to be among the toughest, if not the toughest small arms brass available. Other Lapua brass is not made with webs as thick as 338 Lapua brass, from what I've seen. In other words, if Shawn made a 338 Lapua +P, taking full advantage of case capacity as well as the throat design employed, my guess is it would perform similarly, but last longer than 338 EDGE +P brass does now.

I commonly get 10 or more firings from the 338 AX (338 Lap Imp) chambering, which is probably a little easier on brass than the standard 338 Lapua with its ~35 deg shoulder. Just my non-expert .02.

I'd like to see what a 338 Lap Imp +P would do--might be just on the edge of eroding the +P throat too fast to make it worthwhile to try, which would put you right back to the 338 EDGE +P as the best combination of firepower and throat longevity. Not sure. Speculation on my part. Shawn would obviously have a much better handle on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.