260 Rem bullet recommendation

wff68197

I recently picked up two new 260 Rem rifles and hoping someone can help with a bullet recommendations for both. I am new to the 6.5mm so have none on the shelf to start with. I've already picked up brass and have a good bit of 4350 powder I plan on starting with. Any recommendations are appreciated.

The first rifle is a heavy 26" barrel 1 in 8 twist that I will only use only on the rifle range. Looking for something to shoot paper out to 700 yards. My main concern with this rifle is only accuracy. I was looking at the hornady 140gr sst, but open to any suggestions.

The second is a hunting rifle with a 22" barrel that is also 1 in 8 twist. This rifle will only be used in whitetail and occasional varmint hunting with ranges out to 400 yards. Most of my hunting rifles I shoot in 30 cal are primarily barnes ttsx. Should I stick with the barnes in the 6.5mm or any other suggestions?

So far my best results have been with Hornady 140 grain AMAX. I've also used 123 Lapua with good results but not as good as the AMAX.

So far my best results have been with Hornady 140 grain AMAX. I've also used 123 Lapua with good results but not as good as the AMAX.

+1 the A-MAXs are very good bullets. They have higher BCs than the SSTs and the 123gr A-MAX or 140gr A-MAX would be excellent options.

I am currently on my fourth 260 rem, all customs, all heavy barrel target rifles. The 139 Scenars from Lapua are superb, high BC, very consistent bullet. No trouble getting them into the 2750 range with a reasonably warm load of H4831SC in my rifles. Lately I have been trying the 142 VLD from Matrix Ballistics and so far I am impressed, I haven't run through a full box yet so I will reserve judgement for a later date but they are performing as well as the Scenars out to 200 yards. I will get them out to 500 by the end of this month and will let you know.

For a hunting bullet, I am partial to either the Barnes which you have experience with or the Nosler Partitions. I have never had any trouble getting either of these to group well.

Good luck!

My go to load H4350, 140 A-Max
A bit more 'uppity' H4350, Berger 140 (which ever floats your boat, hybrid, VLD..)
If you like European, the 139 Scenar per others but I have no experience with them

For hunting, well I live in Copperfornia so i have no choice. For me TTSX has worked very well in several calibers and is what is made up for my hunting load.
Reloader 17 and 120 TTSX

For hunting the LRX 127 gr is a superb bullet, the accuracy and BC is better than ttsx and performance matches it

My 260 match bullet is the 142 gr SMK, my hunting bullet is the 140 Berger Hunting VLD. I run them both over 45gr of H4831sc and Fed 210M out of my 26" Savage LRP with an 8 twist. Velocity is 2800FPS.

My 260 TRG loves lapua 139s and 142 smks. Load development was very easy with H4350. I cannot comment on hunting with the 260. I have a 308 with a shorter barrel I use for that purpose.

The 260 Rem is a great caliber, especially for match shooting. Very little recoil, good ballistic performance, reasonable barrel life, and is easy to shoot well! You are going to love it! It is more fun to shoot than any other firearm I own.

TKAB

Most of the MATCH bullets in the 140 gr range shoot great with the right load. For deer size game the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and 129 Hornady SST are very accurate and DEADLY.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts