26 Nosler Wildcats - 28 Nosler (284)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Testing day but...

I forgot my Pressure Trace II. Oh well, I'll have to go shooting again. Darn, I love when that happens.

24" barrel

Load data
Bullet: JLK VLD 180
COAL: 3.56
Powder: H1000
78 grains, 91% case capacity, 2790fps
79 grains, 92% case capacity, 2842fps
80 grains, 93% case capacity, 2873fps
81 grains, 94% case capacity, 2939ps
82 grains, 95% case capacity, 2972fps
83 grains, 96% case capacity, 2995fps
84 grains, 98% case capacity, 3022fps

I don't think this is max. No ejector marks rounded primer.

This seems ~100fps slower than QuickLoad predicts.

Fred,

When you were working up this load, did QuickLoad show 84 Grains of H1000 as the Max Load?

I'm working up a load for the 175gr ABLR and H1000 for the 28 Nosler without the aid of QL. These will be my first shots out of my new custom rifle. I'm starting them off 50 Thousands off the Lands and have loaded rounds in 1/2 grain increments from 79 to 85. My expectations are, based on what you did, that 84 grs will be the max but kind of wanted to know what the limit might be when I go out to test. Yes, you can tell me to quit being cheap and go out and buy Quick Load!

My 28 Nosler rifle is a build on a Borden Alpine Magnum action, Hart 25 1/2 inch #3 Fluted barrel with a Borden Muzzle Break, Jewell trigger, Talley Rings, a Huskemaw 5-20 Blue Diamond Scope, and a McMillan Sporter Edge lightweight stock. It comes it at just under 8 lbs.

Looks like this one except for the different scope.

Bruce

Attachments

• Borden_Hunting_Rifle_lg.jpg
    Borden_Hunting_Rifle_lg.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 98
No there was still a couple grains to go before %100 full. The intrepid could go to higher pressures/velocities but of course that is not my intent.

Your 79 to 85 ladder is as reasonable as I can determine.

Of course COAL and other standard data points will help me determine the reasonableness of your specific load but it has ever been thus that we grow by sharing and adjusting to what is exchanged.

very curious what is the expected improvement over a 7mm-300win. very close to building from a rem. have an extra 300win that will get 30in barrel including muzzlebreak. have a m70 w24" that im very happy with. just feel it needs longer barrel in a slightly heaver dim.

The velocity gain over a 7mm/300 WinMag is not to much and the 28 is only a bit faster than 7STW (debatable yes, maybe they are the same).

The differences are personal preferences. Belted or not. With the bullets seated optimally, fit in a standard long action or not.

If you have or like the 7/300 go for that. If you are looking for something else in the uber 7mm class to 28-Nosler is well worth considering.

Fred,

My 28 Nosler COAL is 3.51 with the 175 ABLR's. What I'm interested in is with your 28 Nosler workup with H1000 and Berger 180 VLD's is what QL told you was the max grains for 65,000 psi. I don't necessarily want to shoot at max pressure but want to know where it is and work down from it to the most accurate load. I know my load and rifle may be a little different but would like your data to help anticipate where it might be so when I think I'm nearing it I do extra checks for pressure signs.

What is interesting about this ABLR load is they apparently like a little running room, I'm hearing 50 thousands off the lands is optimal. In the past I have always loaded my cartridges by seating the bullets ( Hornandy Interbond and Nosler AB) 15 to 20 thousands off the lands. Anyone have experience with ABLR's and seating depths from the lands?

I also have Berger VLD's in 180 Grain. I'll be loading some of them up with a COAL of 3.568 after I work the load with the ABLR's.

Thanks

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

My QL model thinks your ABLR model will max out 65k PSI at 87grains %102 full/compressed load.

The VLD comes out the same as the ABLR. 87 grains max at %102 fill. JKL too.

My Nosler brass in any action got really unhappy after 58k PSI.

Be safe.

A friend of mine that shoots a straight 7mm/338 Lapua was hesitant to try the 175 ABLR's until I donated a box to the shop, he ended up loading some up to 3300 fps and took them for a walk out to 1k .....

Ran into him on Fri night and he was ecstatic at the velocity and accuracy he was getting in a 9 twist Kreiger barrel, mumbled something about it being the most accurate bullet in the rifle

I watched an episode of McWhorter rifles last night. They called the cartridge the 28 MCR but said it was a necked up 26 Nosler. Claimed 3250 with the 180 Berger's and were loading with Retumbo.

A friend of mine that shoots a straight 7mm/338 Lapua was hesitant to try the 175 ABLR's until I donated a box to the shop, he ended up loading some up to 3300 fps and took them for a walk out to 1k .....

Ran into him on Fri night and he was ecstatic at the velocity and accuracy he was getting in a 9 twist Kreiger barrel, mumbled something about it being the most accurate bullet in the rifle

3300fps is impressive! If the accuracy is there, I would love to get his recipe. The one I'm building has a 1n9 Pac-Nor. I've got some 175 AccuBond's, not the long range though. Thanks for the info.

DT

3300fps is impressive! If the accuracy is there, I would love to get his recipe. The one I'm building has a 1n9 Pac-Nor. I've got some 175 AccuBond's, not the long range though. Thanks for the info.

DT

Had a brain moment. I havnt got a 7/338, just got a 28 nosler. 3300 is still impressive though! Sorry again for the loss of brain cells.

DT

When I was doing the pressure testing for the 28-Nosler (when it was still a wildcat LOL).

7 rounds with 1 grain separation for the loads, 4 shots make a sub MOA group.

I'm pretty sure the 28-Nosler is going to be forgiving.

I think I still need to enter a bunch of data.

I'm in the middle of my spring work season. Animal husbandry. Checking on babies every 2 hours until midnight. Then no spare energy for the drudgery of copying over from paper to computer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.