26 Nosler Wildcats

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
What are the throat specs on that 30 cal version?
I'm having a little trouble getting the prints from PTG. I have the numbers but can't get the prints e-mailed. I would love suggestions.

I don't think you want a suggestion from me. I'm going to jump a 230 gr Berger a quarter of an inch.

What is case capacity and neck length on the 30-26 Nosler? Should be very close to a std 300 Norma 103 grains?

What is case capacity and neck length on the 30-26 Nosler? Should be very close to a std 300 Norma 103 grains?
The QuickDesign capacity is 105.3 for the 308/26-Nosler and the neck length is ~.291

One of my goals was to not mess with the specification except to neck up. Nosler chose a neck length ~.010 less than caliber. I would have preferred a neck ~.010 more than caliber with the same COAL but that's the way it goes.

How did you come up with that neck length? I tought the neck was around .260 on the 26? I would think the neck would get a liitle shorter without pushing back the shoulder when necking up? Maybe I'm not thinking clearly.

How did you come up with that neck length? I tought the neck was around .260 on the 26? I would think the neck would get a liitle shorter without pushing back the shoulder when necking up? Maybe I'm not thinking clearly.

When you increase the neck diameter, the shoulder gets shorter and the neck gets longer.

I return from a hunting trip Wed and will go see the smith Thursday or Friday. No firearms or bows were used on this trip. This was a bird and small game trip. The "weapons" used are trained raptors. Suffice to say, if you want to eat, use a gun...

While I was gone I hope he finished:

Mark V: Brake on the 338/26-Nosler.
Mark V: Chamber the 308/26-Nosler from 30-06 and add a brake. All other action work done.
R700: Remove 300RUM barrel, chamber 284/26-Nolser from 7mm RM. Already has a brake.
R700: Chamber the 270/26-Nosler from 270 win and add a brake. Open the feed for magnum.

I have a big inletting job with the 284 because the barrel profile does not match any stocks that are ready to go. The barrel is a take off "sendaro special".

These are all on 24" factory barrels.

As soon as they are back, I will install the pressure trace ii sensors and get on it. I leave for a cow elk hunt on the 13th.

What are the specs on the 338/26 Nosler?
Estimated velocity with 225gr, 250gr Speer GS/Nosler Partition?
Overall case length? (I've got a Tikka T3 in 338WM that may be a candidate)
I'm really enjoying your build thread, thanks for bringing us along!

Ok. The first 4 are "done" and in a shootable state.

Since I am completely non-proprietary about my designs the PTG reamer #s are listed with each caliber

277 #58378
284 #58379
308 #58380
338 #56869

I must say that I am surprised at the speed of the 277, haven't figured it out yet. The 338 seems faster than I expected as well.

QuickLoad users: If you would like a QuickLoad file you can load to do your own experimenting with, please PM me. BTW, I have not 'corrected' the QuickDesign files to match how the reamers were actually cut. All things in time.

Usually I make my decisions and proceed. This time, a little more input is desired.

The new CEB MTH_E01 .358 340grns bullet with a bc of .92 rocks me. Gives me a reason to work on the 35-Nosler or at least get the reamer which is on sale again.

but

The 35-Nosler will only send that 340grns at ~2650.

of course that compares rather well to say a 358/338LM@2750, 358/300RUM@2850 or even 358/375Mjolnir@2950 (all very conservative but you get the idea)

The Mark V actions that I love will do them all.

so

35-Nosler or go bigger?

As an aside. CEB will make me a slightly lighter bullet for the 35-Nosler that I should be able to get into the 2950 range. Hoping for a .86 BC.

Comments please.

Re: 26 Nosler Wildcats - not any more, sort of.....

AIbEiAIAAABECIvS-OeBpqmkpAEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKigxZmZkZWQ4N2RhYjNhYjUzZThiZmIxYTZkMGY5NzcwN2I2ZGRlMGUyMAHdIqJ9vPZbdkuvfUaTkOuUVjCGRg

Zach Waterman

2:02 PM (5 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

[FONT=&quot]"The 28 Nosler is the only cartridge in the entire family (26, 27, 28, 30, 33, 35, and 36) that shares all of the 26 Nosler case dimensions with the exception of being necked up. The 27 Nosler was changed from the 26 as well – the case may be the same length, but the shoulder datum was brought back to a shorter dimension. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are two main reasons these features were changed between cartridges:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]We were committed to staying within a 3.340" maximum OAL, and had to design around the longest ogive Nosler bullets in each caliber. Getting up to 30 caliber and larger sizes, necessitates shortening the brass and therefore moving the shoulder accordingly to preserve adequate neck length.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]The single most important reason the shoulder and length dimensions were changed is to prevent cross-caliber chambering. For example, bullet and neck diameter alone is not enough to guarantee someone can't force a 28 Nosler shell into a 27 Nosler chamber. By bringing the shoulder back on the 27, it can prevent someone from possible serious injury if they inadvertently chamber and fire a larger caliber shell in the smaller chamber. This sort of safety review was done for all possible combinations of the entire 7-cartridge family.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, depending on when and where 'SAAMI-spec' drawings and reamers were acquired, it might be a good idea to check them against the recently approved SAAMI-spec items before starting a new rifle chambering project."[/FONT]

Thanks for sharing the details JF Seaman. Wonder if Nosler will offer the whole lineup of calibers mentioned in Waterman's comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.