26 Nosler Wildcats - 28 Nosler (284)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
I just picked up a Redding Master Hunter set for 28 Nosler this morning.

All I need now is my barrel (should be here any day) and then everything is off to the gunsmith.

-nosualc

The latest issue of Rifle magazine (may '15) tests the 28 in a nosler M48 rifle. They list some handloading data, and mention the next issue of Handloader magazine will have a more in depth review of load data.

Well, this is my latest update! My smith took ill, so it's a waiting game now. I'm just waiting on him to heal an get back in the shop, then we will get this thing(28nosler) up an running again. Anybody out there with any new data, etc? Fred, we are lookin to hear from ya! Muddrunner, you got anything??? Good shooting to all.

DT

Hey Fellas, has anyone seen some 27 nosler dies for sale in their travels,my rifle is only a couple of weeks away and I still have no eta on the dies.

Oh well, I needed to get back to working on my airplane project. I am building a Bearhawk LSA. Look it up. It is cool plane.

My custom 28 Nosler Rifle arrived the other day. However the custom Hornady Dies are still on order (3 months now) so I picked up a set of Redding Master Hunter dies.

I loaded my first work up loads but noticed a problem with primer holes on the 26 Nosler brass that I reformed to 28 Nosler. Using a Hornady hand primer, about every third primer appears to hang up on the cases primer hole lip. The primers are CCI Magnum Rifle. I also have Federals but have not tried them.

Anyone else run into this problem? Anyone brought this issue to Nosler? Any ideas on how to resolve it? I've never had this issue with any other brand of brass.

Bruce Pooley

Are you are saying that when you're pressing in the primers, some are excessively tight? Or, are you saying that when you press in the primers, some don't go all the way down and stick out a bit?

Primer pockets can vary a little bit, as can primers themselves, all while being within SAAMI spec. A primer pocket uniformer tool can be used to clean up pockets that might be a little too tight.

-nosualc

Well it was operator error. Thinking about this problem this morning I realized I made a rookie error. When I changed out the Shell holders I forgot to transfer the little guide that slides into the Hornady Shell holder to center the primer on the hole. I checked it when I came home after work and confirmed that was the issue. With the bushing in place on the shell holder they worked fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.