243 or 25-06

The 25-06 has better barrel life than a 243. The 243 is a bit of a barrel burner. You can also download the 25-06 a bit and use 85 gr. bullets, if recoil seems a bit much for them. Also 25-06 with a 85 Gr. bullet is going 3500~3600 fps. And makes a pretty good long range varmint rifle. That is why you see long range rifles like the Sendero and Savage Long Range Hunter chambered in it. It kicks a little less than the 270, mainly because of the lighter bullets.

I thought the 25-06 was overbore and it was more of a barrel burner than the 243. I could be mistaken though.
I own both the 243 and the 25-06, I will always have a 243 in the collection but I honestly don't see the advantage to the 25-06 over it. It really may just boil down to personal preference

For the Sendero followers, I have a question or two.

They started out as a non fluted barrel, then went to a stainless fluted SF II that we have now if I remember right. What year did they start the SFII's? Did any of the original Sendero's have painted flutes or just the SFII's?

I have the II, but I believe the original was non-fluted matte blued. Don't know when the II came out.

I thought the 25-06 was overbore and it was more of a barrel burner than the 243. I could be mistaken though.
I own both the 243 and the 25-06, I will always have a 243 in the collection but I honestly don't see the advantage to the 25-06 over it. It really may just boil down to personal preference

Yeah I could see what you are saying here.

One advantage to a short action for me, is if I cut down a stock on one of my other short action varmint rigs for my kids, then if they want to shoot a 243, I could just swap the stocks for them pretty easily.

One advantage for the 25-06 is the Sendero. Plain and simple. The problem with the 25-06 is I find myself wanting to shoot the Berger 115's for the wind bucking factor. I hunt coyotes in eastern/SE Wyoming and the wind always blows there. So for this reason, I would like to have something a little better at bucking the wind than a 22-250. hmmmmm

I know you only asked about 243 or 25-06, but still you might want to consider the 6.5 Creedmoor. It will do all you want it for, and with less wind drift than either of the other two. There are many reasons it has become so popular so quickly.

I am really just looking at factory rifles at the moment and am kind of a Remington guy so I would have to go with the 6.5x47 if I were going to go that way if I recall.

Tell me thoughts on the VLS. I have always liked how they feel. My 22-250 has a laminate on it also so I am not worried about the weight. A 243 with 95 VLD's look pretty good on paper and should have no trouble stabilizing at my elevation.

Just trying to hash out all the details before I decide between the Sendero 25-06 and VLS 243.

I think .243 is over powered for coyotes unless you are shooting at the really long ranges. Then the 6mm bullets are probably the best balance. I've killed a number of coyotes with the .243 and 55 grain Nosler BT and they destroy them but you wouldn't use a 55 grain bullet at 700 yards on a windy day.

I think .243 is over powered for coyotes unless you are shooting at the really long ranges. Then the 6mm bullets are probably the best balance. I've killed a number of coyotes with the .243 and 55 grain Nosler BT and they destroy them but you wouldn't use a 55 grain bullet at 700 yards on a windy day.

That is pretty much where I am at now. I have a 22-250 with the 14 twist which doesn't allow me to use any descent BC bullets for longer ranges. I don't shoot coyotes for hides, just predator control at my inlaws ranch. I am looking at a good 4-600 yard round for the most part, and maybe something that my kids could use to kill a deer at some point. I guess this is what I am thinking as far as pros and cons.

25-06 Pros-more range, better wind buck the longer you go, available in a Sendero
cons-More recoil than a 243, more powder
243-Pros-less recoil, less powder, not quite as good but still descent wind buck.
Cons-VLS is best option, not quite as good wind buck

If I could get a stainless fluted 243 that I could put my own stock on, I think it would be a done deal. a 25-06 Sendero is nice, but if I could get a 243 Sendero(not possible) that would be great.

I will have to do some thinking I guess.

If I could get a stainless fluted 243 that I could put my own stock on, I think it would be a done deal. a 25-06 Sendero is nice, but if I could get a 243 Sendero(not possible) that would be great.

Savage makes one. I used to have one in 243. Very accurate rifles. You can put a McMillian stock on one. Would have a better trigger and probably be more accurate out of the box than a VLS. Plus is has a drop box magazine. The Savage Model 12 actions are smooth and have a nice feel.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLPDBM

Anybody want to give me some good velocity's for a 243 with 87 grain and 95 grain? I just want to get some accurate guesstimations for my ballistic calculator to compare.

Anybody want to give me some good velocity's for a 243 with 87 grain and 95 grain? I just want to get some accurate guesstimations for my ballistic calculator to compare.

My Rem 700 VLS .243 is pushing an 87 Vmax at 3100 fps using H4831SC. I'm pretty sure that I could get more velocity but I hit a nice accuracy node and was running out of time for a coyote hunting trip out west. StrelokPro gave me a point blank aim out to 307 yards with 3" kill zone and zero set 2.3" high at 100 yards. This load worked dramatically on yotes out to 275 yards. It's definitely not good for anyone who cares about saving fur.

Would 3000fps be a fair guesstimate with 95's or should I be expecting different?

3000 fps is definitely doable. I'd say 3200 is even doable. The 243 is a fantastic cartridge. I've got a friend who pushes the 87 vmax I think nearly 3400 fps. Personally I'd get the 243. A 243 with the proper twist and bullet will spank a 25-06 with less powder and recoil. But this is also coming from a guy with absolutely 0 love for the 1/4 bore.

Wow I would have never expected that much. That gives some pretty impressive ballistics.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.