.223 and Kestrel

For the benefit of others who may be interested;

I had a Vortex Diamondback HP scope on this rifle prior to the XTR II and I liked it. It had enough vertical elevation for the .223 to easily reach out past 1000 yards. It did not have a zero stop and that cost me several coyotes so I went looking for something else. I looked at EVERYTHING I could my hands on. Nikon, Vortex, NF, Leopold, Bushnell, everything. I wanted a positive zero stop, FFP that was clear and could focus at point blank range for about $1000. The moment that I picked up an XTR II and rolled back the power ring and set it at minimum focus I knew that I had found my scope.

The scope tracks perfectly when I move the elevation for everything from zero to plus 10MOA and back. Horizontal for wind correction is the same.

The glass is crystal clear at all but max (20) power and even at 20 is not that bad.

I've never had a FFP scope and was not sure that I'd like it but I have to say it is awesome. When I roll the power down the reticle is very fine and at max power is still fine enough to be able to pick my shot on small targets at long distances.

The more I use this scope the more I like it.

It is time for an update now that I've had lots of experience with the Kestrel.

I point it at the target and input the yardage from my rangefinder. Then point the Kestrel into the wind to get a wind reading and it gives a firing solution to dial up on the scope. The rest is up to me. As long as I get a good distance to the target the solution is spot on. I had a few shots that were falling low on the target and some range time with my chronograph gave the reason. lightbulb I had the MV entered at 2770 fps on my 75 gr A-max and it was actually averaging 2710. I made the correction in the Kestrel and it fixed the issue. Shots are now spot on. One of my best and most fun days was very windy. The Kestrel delivered perfect firing solutions out to 400 yards in 15 mph crosswinds.gun)

Rangefinder, Kestrel with Applied Ballistics and extremely accurate handloads means lots of dead rockcucks. I'm over 400 now for the season. :D

It is time for an update now that I've had lots of experience with the Kestrel.

I point it at the target and input the yardage from my rangefinder. Then point the Kestrel into the wind to get a wind reading and it gives a firing solution to dial up on the scope. The rest is up to me. As long as I get a good distance to the target the solution is spot on. I had a few shots that were falling low on the target and some range time with my chronograph gave the reason. lightbulb I had the MV entered at 2770 fps on my 75 gr A-max and it was actually averaging 2710. I made the correction in the Kestrel and it fixed the issue. Shots are now spot on. One of my best and most fun days was very windy. The Kestrel delivered perfect firing solutions out to 400 yards in 15 mph crosswinds.gun)

Rangefinder, Kestrel with Applied Ballistics and extremely accurate handloads means lots of dead rockcucks. I'm over 400 now for the season. :D

400 and the season,,, and it just started !!!
You better save some seed for next year....
And i just had my 20"AR rebarreled and its shooting 1/2" or better at 100 again!

No worry about leaving 'seed'. This farm is lousy with chucks. There are others hunting this same property and we all are whacking chucks. BTW, my longest shot on a chuck yesterday was 465 yards. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.