.223 and Kestrel

Idgunner

Boy am I having fun! I have a Savage Model 10 with a McGowan 26 inch 8 twist varmint barrel and a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 scope. I also have a Leica 1000 range finder and recently bought a Kestrel Sportsman to give an exact firing solution based on range to target and wind direction and speed. I programmed the Kestrel with the MV of my 75 gr A-Max handloads and selected the G7 ballistic profile and it is spot on! As long as I do my part on the trigger this combo is deadly on rock chucks. I've only been out 4 times now and already am up to 72 chucks with the longest kill at 423 yards. Anything out to 250 yards is a sure thing. gun)

I spot and range with the Leica, get a firing solution with the Kestrel and dial it up on the scope and pop the chuck. The farmer loves me. :D

Sounds like a blast! Where did you pickup the kestrel?

I got it here;

Kestrel Sportsman Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics

I did not understand how the Kestrel reads the wind and when I contacted Kestrel to express my concern an application engineer contacted me and got me on the right path. These things are AWESOME!

I went with the Sportsman model because I only have a couple of rifles that I need it for and I can upgrade to the Elite model anytime I want.

Boy am I having fun! I have a Savage Model 10 with a McGowan 26 inch 8 twist varmint barrel and a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 scope. I also have a Leica 1000 range finder and recently bought a Kestrel Sportsman to give an exact firing solution based on range to target and wind direction and speed. I programmed the Kestrel with the MV of my 75 gr A-Max handloads and selected the G7 ballistic profile and it is spot on! As long as I do my part on the trigger this combo is deadly on rock chucks. I've only been out 4 times now and already am up to 72 chucks with the longest kill at 423 yards. Anything out to 250 yards is a sure thing. gun)

I spot and range with the Leica, get a firing solution with the Kestrel and dial it up on the scope and pop the chuck. The farmer loves me. :D

Ah technology,,, back in my day we didnt have all that stuff, it was ,,,,well i think he is about this far and about a 6 mph wind so ill hold across his back and right at the tip of his nose and hope the wind blowes it into him ! That was in the Pocatello area about 1975. Where are you located IDgunner ?

Idgunner dont you know that 20X way to much power,,,,, that all you need is 10X for chuck and p-dogs at 500 600 700 800 yards just ask all the PROs here they will tell you that !

As far as my self i will stick to my 6-24 X scopes ! No matter what the PROs say !!!!!

Idgunner dont you know that 20X way to much power,,,,, that all you need is 10X for chuck and p-dogs at 500 600 700 800 yards just ask all the PROs here they will tell you that !

As far as my self i will stick to my 6-24 X scopes ! No matter what the PROs say !!!!!

HAHA, guess I should have asked! :rolleyes: In the meantime I love my XTR II. I've not spotted any chucks past 500 yards to shoot at yet but I'm always looking. :D

Applied Ballistics. It's the older model before the 5700. The 5700 has the same soft wear. The 5700 does have a few upgrades like a larger easier to read screen and single battery.. You have an outstanding set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.