2022 AZ ELK Draw

I had 13 pts. and buddy 7. Put in for area that took 8 pts. Last year. We went in at 10 pts. Was a good bet we'd get drawn. It takes 15 pts. To draw an archery elk unit now that I used to draw a lot. Stating last year I'm on a point burning mission in 7 states. I'm getting too old to play the rich man's game.
Drew 4B late Rifle

Last edited:
First of all, thanks all for responding. I live in Wyo and AZ. I usually have several people call me from ID, Mont. and Wyo. asking about ( Intel ).
I drew 23 late Elk last year. Spent over 30 days scouting. It was very unproductive with the exception the week before then season. If I was coming from out of state, getting there five days early would be the best use of time.
There are some deep canyons north of Strawberry that many people think it is to difficult to hunt. I am amazed when I see whole Bulls in the back of trucks. Hunters I know in ID, Wyo and Montana are more used Quartering or boning out the meat. Look for rough terrain. You will find that elk will be every where. Have fun.
Know it well. Great advice . Hunted all around those areaa since 1989. Used to live in neighboring state .

Are they thinking it's going to be a good year for antler growth? They could've been giants this last fall and lose 30"+ this year if it's a dry spring and summer with little nutrients. Then they could be mostly broken off come October. It's such a gamble year after year in AZ.
I think this will be the best in the last 10 years for growth. March 8th the feed is amazing.

You probably wouldn't want to share how many bonus points your family and friends had to draw AZ elk and antelope????😜
Lots of family and friends and the bonus points varied a Lot for those who were successful with a tag. My oldest daughter drew her third late bull elk tag in row, my cousin has 17 points and still hasn't pulled a tag. He puts in for the harder hunts to draw though. I don't think having a set amount of bonus points is something you can bet on, I might be wrong though. I really don't know how it works.

Your daughter is a lucky gal! I also put in for harder to draw units, but most of my family and friends put in for the general rifle elk hunt in 6a only because we have a cabin there.
Only one person has ever drawn in that unit and there is 700 permits for that hunt.
Amazingly we're not that lucky when it comes to drawing an AZ elk tag.
You're correct, bonus points don't seem to help.

Your daughter is a lucky gal! I also put in for harder to draw units, but most of my family and friends put in for the general rifle elk hunt in 6a only because we have a cabin there.
Only one person has ever drawn in that unit and there is 700 permits for that hunt.
Amazingly we're not that lucky when it comes to drawing an AZ elk tag.
You're correct, bonus points don't seem to help.
I was born and raised here in Arizona and have had lucky strings of tags and some dry spells too. If a guy wants to hunt, or a gal, and you live in Arizona you better have a few back up plans every year. We usually buy land owner tags in New Mexico if we don't draw there. We have some other states and places we hunt too. It's hard living here, I'm in the a White Mountains, and not being able to hunt on a regular basis. Sounds like you know all about it too.

Lots of family and friends and the bonus points varied a Lot for those who were successful with a tag. My oldest daughter drew her third late bull elk tag in row, my cousin has 17 points and still hasn't pulled a tag. He puts in for the harder hunts to draw though. I don't think having a set amount of bonus points is something you can bet on, I might be wrong though. I really don't know how it works.
There's definitely a point, depending on the hunt, when you're at or above max points. That's when you're guaranteed to draw in the bonus pass. A certain amount of tags are allotted for the bonus pass. Then from there your points simply get you more tickets in the pot to be drawn. Each application after the bonus pass is assigned a number, for the number of tags still available. Lowest numbers are assigned tags until all the tags are gone, so getting extra numbers with your points gives you a better chance to have a low enough number. There's a lot more to it than this, and I know AZGFD has some articles and videos on how the draw actually works, I'd check into those if you're interested.

Basically yes, there is a set number of points that can theoretically guarantee you a tag (point creep and all). And having a decent amount of points gets you a higher chance at drawing.

My last antelope tag in AZ was 1997. My brother actually drew a unit 10 antelope tag on his 26th year of putting in. (He's now 67 years old)

So I agree with you nakneker, you have to plan on going to some other state, and a few states still have general hunts you can buy OTC.

Like Arizona, these general late rifle hunts are an absolute zoo. So if you're young and/or very able you can hit those wilderness areas and typically find success. Most guys on these late hunts drive the roads in trucks or Side-by-sides hoping for an elk crossing😁

I've personally never loaded up a whole elk in the back of truck in all my many years of hunting AZ. Quarter it up and put it on a pack frame, piece by piece.

Unit 6A is a huge unit and there are literally thousands of elk from Camp Verde all the way to the South of Flagstaff.

Sincerely, good luck to those that drew!

I think this will be the best in the last 10 years for growth. March 8th the feed is amazing.
I hope your right but I wouldn't hold your breath. There was good moisture early (in Dec and Jan), but the last 60 days has been dry. All depends on how March and April shakes out because most of the west is still in a drought as of today. Also, go back to to 2019 and see all the monsters killed in AZ……after viewing, do you think this year will be better? Again, I hope so! 🤞

I hope your right but I wouldn't hold your breath. There was good moisture early (in Dec and Jan), but the last 60 days has been dry. All depends on how March and April shakes out because most of the west is still in a drought as of today. Also, go back to to 2019 and see all the monsters killed in AZ……after viewing, do you think this year will be better? Again, I hope so! 🤞
That's what I was thinking when he said that because by all reports that was one of the best years for a while and likely to come. Then 2020 was a crap year and lots of hunters experienced the things I said in regards to lost inches and broken tines.

My last antelope tag in AZ was 1997. My brother actually drew a unit 10 antelope tag on his 26th year of putting in. (He's now 67 years old)

So I agree with you nakneker, you have to plan on going to some other state, and a few states still have general hunts you can buy OTC.

Like Arizona, these general late rifle hunts are an absolute zoo. So if you're young and/or very able you can hit those wilderness areas and typically find success. Most guys on these late hunts drive the roads in trucks or Side-by-sides hoping for an elk crossing😁

I've personally never loaded up a whole elk in the back of truck in all my many years of hunting AZ. Quarter it up and put it on a pack frame, piece by piece.

Unit 6A is a huge unit and there are literally thousands of elk from Camp Verde all the way to the South of Flagstaff.

Sincerely, good luck to those that drew!
1997 was also my last year drawn for lope. I don't even remember if they had a points draw then. I've hunted 5BN archery elk many times and 5BS and 6A. Area 21 late archery deer and javalina and 5BN archery elk were always my favorite hunts.

BTW, all guides are optimistic and spreading that propaganda for a reason…….b/c 2020 was a tough year and because they make a living on optimism! Most contracts are signed in the next few days before actual horn growth is determined. Again, I hope it's the best year yet, but I presume it will not be.

Recent Posts