Zero stop on Leupold CDS turret??

Colin

I am just getting into this long range shooting stuff and have a question. First off the rifle I am setting up is a Winchester M70 extreme weather in .270 win. I am wanting to top it off with a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14 LR...The question is if I have the CDS turret installed, planning to just stick with the standard MOA turret not one designed for my specific load and elevation, does it have a zero stop to get me back to my original zero position? Forinstance if I dial up to a shot at 600 yrds can I just turn down until it stops and be back at where I started say sighted in at 100 yrds?

Thanks

Yes and No. If you get a cds "one turn" dial it may go from a 200 zero to 700 yrds, and there is a lip on turret and a small ball that acts as a stop. This may be 100-600. Depends on cartidge and zero. If you want dial marked farther tahn one turn, they will do that aso, but you loose the stop feature. I have seen posts that someone does a ZS ON A vari 3. I do not know how it is done, but my Mark 4 turret climbs and I used a small washer and small allen for a ZS, which is very nice to have.

Please explain the one turn dial feature. My CDS does not have this but I would be interested.

Dan

Please explain the one turn dial feature. My CDS does not have this but I would be interested.

Dan
I had a B&C 4-14 and I HAD A CDS dial added.T he turret on scope had a small stud on inside of housing, turret dial, had a small ball bearing that stopped at stud, So this allowed single turn, and whatever zero and balistic would fit one turn.I dont have a factory one , but 2 retro fit, that came w/ blank moa dials also.

On the Mark for it has witness marks on turret housing and as you dial up it climbs. This creates space under the turret. Pull cap[turret dial] and I PUT A SMALLwasher to use as a buffer for a small allen screw, the screw helps you fine tune. I have done it w/ washers only, and something as simple as old butter dish lid plastic. The allen is screwed in cap until it just touches base area and stops dial from turning more. You do not want to torque on it , as it is a fine instrument and not a hose bib:) Other brands of scopes use shim kits also

Attachments

• 338 Norma.jpg
    338 Norma.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 381
I think you should get one that is load specific, changes in conditions don't have hardly any effect until you get beyond 600 yards, since staying in one turn will allow you to go to at most 850yards you can add or take away a few clicks as needed if taking a shot beyond 600 ish.

6x6....that is a sweet trick. Something I am going to have to work on this weeked......it looks like a great solution

I have always wanted zero stop like feature on my Mk4's:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.