You're favorite "woods gun"? mine proved true today

Even though I take different guns on hunting trips, my favorite is my Savage model 340B, bolt action 30-30, with a side mounted, lightweight 4x32 scope. This is the most accurate gun I've ever owned and as we all know, the 30-30 will get the job done up to 200 yards. Forget about the ballistics you read, I shot a 250 lb black bear at 75 yards and the 30-30 zipped right through both shoulders and threw him to the ground. I think it weighs about 8 lbs with the scope on it and it has never failed me, I just hope it lives forever, since its about 50 some years old.

In the northern New England tradition, I use a 760 carbine in 30-06. I now use a 1.5-4 scope but for years I used the williams peep that was opened up. I may go back to it with a tritium or fiber optic front post in green. It carries so much better without the scope.

Peep sights...gotta luv em. Have them on M1a sight picture is fast and accurate. IMHO I think it's easier to become proficient with peep sights if introduced to them before using scopes exclusivly and then trying to pic it up.

Peep sights...gotta luv em. Have them on M1a sight picture is fast and accurate. IMHO I think it's easier to become proficient with peep sights if introduced to them before using scopes exclusivly and then trying to pic it up.

+1, I think that is what I am going to do when I get a chance. Most of the deer hunting I do is within 75yrds which a peep would work wonders in.

Tank

MINE ARE:
Marlin in the 450 marlin w/4x lupy
hand gun would be either .480 ruger 9.5 barrel or the 375 jdj in an encore 15 inch barrel. Both are fun to shoot!!!gun)

Just got done putting a smallish (19" barreled) model 700 in 6mm back into service. It has open sights that I managed to strip a screw and break another on trying to adjust (I'm like a bull in a china shop some days) and the old scope wasn't hitting on much so I took the iron sight off and mounted a Leupold FXII 4X33 w/wide duplex on it with Warne steel mounts and rings. Six clicks right and four up and it was money. Killed a doe yesterday in the hard woods with it at around 150 yards.
If I was going to buy a rifle for this purpose it would be a lever action and likely in 30-30. I just had the little 6mm sitting idle and needed a brush gun.
Good luck and happy new year.

I shoot an Encore in 7mm08 99 % of the time,but if I am shooting less thn 75 yards in the woods,Its a Remington 870 with an improved cylinder and rifled slugs.I got 2 on the wall killed with them.

.350 Remington Magnum on a Oncore, shoots great out to 250 and don't have to worry about animals walking away after 250 grain kicker jumps on um.

last day deer

Saturday was the last day of our season. Remington 870, Hornady SST, Burris Short Mag scope. Shot at a barrel stretching 20 yards!
Gary

Chas1,
Sorry, I tried to insert picture but obviously it didn't work.
I took two deer, both does. It was the last day and we were hunting for meat. I was hunting in a shotgun only area and it was thick.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.