You're favorite "woods gun"? mine proved true today

Just noticed your from New Bern NC. On 2 seperate occassions I was stationed at the Point-USMC 70-74 and used to go to New Bern and shop at the K-Mart...I'm pretty sure it was...wonder if it's still there?

This is my new favorite "woods gun". Many years ago I gave up hunting deer in the heavy woods and switched to scoped rifles in open fields with several rifles from .243 to 30-06. But this past year I got permission to hunt in the woods I hunted as a kid and wanted to go back to hunting the way I did when I was a teen. Up close and personal.

.357 158 gr JSP. 11 yards DRT.

SANY0031.jpg

same round 24 yards. 2 jumps. Thought about it and dropped.

SANY0034.jpg

2fewdaysafield,
Now that's the way to hunt whitetail. I leave all my long range stuff home when I'm hunting them. I take either my 1943 Win M94 in .30 30 Win or my 1970's Win M94 in .44 Mag. If I'm in country where bears are around, {Grizz} then I'll take my 1950's Win M71 in .348 Win. I have many other rifles I've used for Northern Idaho whitetail from; M1 Carbine {yes it's little light but legal there} to M1903 C stock Springfield. I did have a Marlin M1894 {pre safety} in .357 Mag'..., that I shot two young bucks with... it had no problem dispatching them, both were under 70 yards. 1903 M96 K31 with Deer rifles
It does bring back the fun day's of hunting in our youth.

Thanks 436!

Sure was a lot of fun hunting them the "old way". Fun too finding that I could still outsmart a deer at "spittin' distance"! I let a nice 8 point walk at 100 yards 'cause I wasn't sure enough of the semi buckhorns to take a shot at that range with a .357.

I did some range work with that gun earlier this spring and when I found that even with the semi buckhorns I could hold 5 shot groups under 3" at 100 yards, I ordered up a tang sight from Brownells. Its at my smith being mounted.

Can't wait to see what I can do with it then! :)

Best......2few

2fewdaysafield,
I put a William peep {large aperture} on the M94 in .44 Mag; it was a big help on those 75 plus yard shots. I used a peep on the Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag's as well... To tell you the truth, a guy can shoot a little farther than most people would think... with those peeps on lever rifles. I've killed a few Idaho yote's with the .357 Mag using a 125gr. HP approaching 200 yards using a peep on it. But I would agree, the closer they are the more exciting it can be. Sneak and peak with a good old lever rifles is a blast'...., makes for a nice weight rifle and comfortable walk in the woods, magazine carriers most of {12 in the .44 Mag} my ammo, few extra in the pocket, rope, knife and a small pack for kit and I'm hunting. And it's always nice to carry a handgun that shoots the cartridge if you want.
Hope the sight works out
Good luck.

I'm really looking forward to getting the tang sights on it! Fella on another board has been shooting the bejeepers out of 6" steel at 300 yards with his Rossi .357. .357 doesn't have the "oomph" for deer at that range, but if I can get that kind of accuracy, no deer under 150 will be getting a free walk! :D

2few

2fewdaysafield,
Well if the steel is large enough grin... :D I'm sure it's fun... I put more then a few pistol cartridge out past there limitation, kinda turns in a mortar.. The .357 Mag with a 158gr bullet at say 1550 fps, drops something like 85" inches at 300 yards when zeroed at 50 yards, it s till retains about 300 fpe at about 900 fps. But nothing said it wasn't fun! grin... :D
As a side note; it's still packing about 450 fpe at 150 yards...

Last edited:

I'm new to playing around with pistol cartridges out of a rifle. But I'm sure having a lot of fun! :D

When I first bought that gun, and having been raised on the "minimum 800 FPE to kill deer) theory, I figured I had a 50 yard max gun which was no problem for heavy woods.

But the way that rifle put the "smackdown" on those 2 deer got me intrigued. I hunted these same woods with a Win '94 30-30 for 6 or 7 years and seldom got the kind of devastating kills that I got from this .357.

First deer was shot at 11 yards facing me. Went down like it had been hit by a truck! Didn't recover the bullet, but the largest piece of the heart I found when I gutted it was about the size of my thumbnail.

The larger deer was shot broadside at 24 yards. Deer took 2 steps, stopped, stood there for maybe 15-20 seconds and dropped. When I got to it the bullet had passed through and through and it looked like blood had been sprayed from a hose.

So I'm really curious to play around with this gun and some different loads.

And having seen what these worn out eyes can do with the semi buckhorns, I'm dying to see what I can do with the tang sights. I thought my days of shooting open sights were long in my past.

Most importantly, I'm having a blast!

2few

2fewdaysafield, nice pics. That's some up close shooting.

436, thanks for posting the link to pics of some of your rifles.

Thanks Chas1....

When I was a kid, I worked those woods like a fiend pretty much from leaves down to the end of January over a period of about 10 years. It was fun going back there after 40 years gone and finding that it didn't take me but a short while to figure out what the critters were doing. :) It had been a long time since I hunted that way.

I love to hunt deer....anywhere, anytime, any way. I've shot a lot of deer over open fields with big rifles and big scopes.....but I think the most fun is going after them right in their own bedroom. Somehow, it just sort of seems right to hunt whitetail that way. :)

2few

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts