your thoughts on an ar short stroking

they are kind a hard to get on the phone, you have to go thru an AI operator. i will email them though.

Just do what I posted… it'll be fine.
They will only give you the runaround about your setup and blame things on something else you did.
They are only selling a barrel.
The rest is up to the builder.
AGAIN… COMMON PROBLEM!

i have an ar with a Faxon 16" gunner match barrel, it has a rifle length gas system. i have a 6mm arc as well and it functions just fine , i took the lower off the 6mm and put it on the 22. it has a carbine length tube with collapsable stock. the rifle is a single shot, eject the spent shell but does not pick up the next shell. i pulled the buffer weight and spring, it has a red springco extra heavy duty spring and a h1 weight. i have another lower with an a2 stock and the 22 arc runs just fine on it, it has a rifle buffer weight. (6")

any suggestions? thinking of replacing the red spring with a aero mill spec to see if it will run.
when you say you put it on a 22 did you mean 22 LR or 22 ARC ?

The 6 ARC was designed to be used with a Carbine buffer system. What's the parts on the build ? Did you install the gasblock / gas tube yourself ? For springs - go with the Sprinco "White" spring or get a NEMO 300 spring - use the same carbine buffer.

not a 22lr, 22 arc to be exact, what you suggest is exactly what i have done. will find out tomorrow how well we did.

Start troubleshooting the gas system from top to bottom. Here are free options: Check gas port alignment, is it tight? Does it leak around the edges? Look for obstruction in the block itself. Is the gas key secure? Check out entire BCG. Maybe swap the bolt to a different BCG. Check bolt to see if it binds, is dirty, anything that slightly impedes its cycle. Clean your chamber and bolt (not the BCG, the actual bolt)

Switch springs to a lighter spring from another rifle. Can you shoot this upper on someone else's lower? Then, maybe, try a lighter buffer?

Worst case, get a JP captured spring, expensive, but cool.

Gas guns aren't complicated. It's physics. You aren't getting enough force to push the buffer and BCG back.

i have an ar with a Faxon 16" gunner match barrel, it has a rifle length gas system. i have a 6mm arc as well and it functions just fine , i took the lower off the 6mm and put it on the 22. it has a carbine length tube with collapsable stock. the rifle is a single shot, eject the spent shell but does not pick up the next shell. i pulled the buffer weight and spring, it has a red springco extra heavy duty spring and a h1 weight. i have another lower with an a2 stock and the 22 arc runs just fine on it, it has a rifle buffer weight. (6")

any suggestions? thinking of replacing the red spring with a aero mill spec to see if it will run.
Count the coils on the spring, maybe a rifle not carbine spring. Gas block alignment/port cut to small, ( I doubt faxon is pretty good at making decent barrel). Adj gas block not turned open enough?

Built several of these, but why use a rifle length gas system with a 16in barrel? A 16in usually takes a carbine or mid gas length. Your gonna have fun tuning this. About the only thing you can do is use weaker spring, lighter buffer, and/or open the gas port hole to allow more gas. All this assumes there are no other hidden issues. Are you sure the gas block is exactly positioned correctly over the barrel gas port? Id start by trying a weaker spring. Good luck.

the brass ends up at 4 o'clock with 12 o'clock being down range. buffer eight is not marked so i'm taking it with me to the post office today to weigh it. the other lower has the 6" rifle buffer that should weigh 5.5-5.8 ounces and that lower feeds and ejects just fine.
put the lower on my 6mm arc and it runs just fine and tosses the brass to the same place. if the buffer weight is the problem and it has a h1 in it i'm not sure how you get to a lighter weight. might have to go to one with variable
you can't use a rifle length spring or buffer in a carbine stock.

Do you have an adjustable gas block? I tried springs, buffers, etc on my 6 ARC with an 18" Faxson/Brownells barrel. Going to an adjustable gas block finally fixed my issue. Runs like a top now.

If your under gassed an adjustable block wont help unless you drill the gas port. Your gas is wide open now and it's short stroking. As others have said rifle gas on a 16" is not the norm. The port is further down the barrel where there is less gas pressure. I would work on the buffer end first and if that doesn't solve the problem drill the port I wire bit size larger and get an adjustable block.

One more thought after reading your original post again.

It sounds like you will using the same lower and switching uppers…if that's the case…I'd do the following.

I'd definitely check for any issues with your gas system…alignment, seal etc.
Then, if all is good and doesn't cycle a round and lock back… I'd do as Cajun suggested and bore the gas port to the next wire size until you get enough gas flow to lock back.

Then put an adjustable gas block that will allow you to tune it down if you'll run a suppressor.

This will allow you to run either upper without making changes to the lower.

22ARC doesn't require any adjustable gas blocks, or heavy weighted buffers or springs. If you decide to use an Adjustable gas block, just use a standard carbine spring and buffer, and adjust the gas to your desired settings. Adding the extra weight/tension to the recoil system, will create an undergassed situation like you've described. The 6mm ARC however does have some quirks and will tend to be in need of gas and recoil management. Operate the 22ARC using a standard spring/buffer combination and let us know how it shoots.