You need one of these!!

goodgrouper

Although being a new generation shooter by birthdate, and having a lust for the toys grandpa never dreamed about, I have kept with old fashioned ideas when it has come to scales and powder dispensing. I have said on this forum many times that I like to actually "see" what is going on when I am weighing powder for my ultra long range shooting and that is why I have kept loading with the old trusted RCBS (ohaus) 10-10 scale. I have not really even been tempted to buy the Powder Pro, or the Pact, or the Lyman 1200, but after reading an excellent article on 6mmbr.com about the new RCBS CHargemaster combo test, I had to re-think my view.

After fiddling around with a test model, and reading every possible thing I could find on the unit, I bought one. I realized that my midnight reloading sessions were becoming physically taxing as I struggled for hours on end to put together <font color="blue"> PERFECT </font> ammo for long range hunting and shooting. I have loaded tens of thousands of loads in my shooting career, and I have only not trickled exactly 50 of those rounds! I was becoming aware that hunching over a trickler and scale in the wee hours of the morning was not doing my neck or my eyes any favors, so I figured that if a machine could do it as accurately as myself, it would be a worthwhile investment. <font color="red">AND BOY IS IT!! </font>

The RCBS Chargemaster combo is without doubt the sweetest green box ever made. THe scale has been improved well beyond expectations. No more 30 minute warm-ups (try 10 seconds instead). No more fluttery load cells that won't hold zero. No more re-calibration problems. No more air pressure sensing. Everything just works now.

My first time using the dispenser was 3 nights ago. I loaded up my 6br with Benchmark, my 22-250 AI fast twist with H4831sc and my 6.5-.284 with RL22 so the kernel size of the powder varied quite a bit. I started with the 6br and loaded 40 rounds for it. I still didn't quite have total faith in the unit at this point so I double-checked the first 22 charges on my 10-10 scale. It came out perfect except 2 charges were about 2 kernels high, and 3 charges were 2 kernels low. I then added in or subtracted the necessary kernels to get it perfect, then proceeded to load the remainder without double-checking the charges on the 10-10.
When I fired the 6br the following morning, the rounds that had kernels adjusted and the rounds that were not checked shot exactly the same size groups at 100 yards! Needless to say, double checking the Chargemaster is a waste of time. It is wonderful!

The unit dispensed the 32.5 grains of Benchmark in about 7 seconds, 41.5 grains in 10 seconds, and 50 grains in about 16 seconds! I loaded over 100 rounds in about half the time it normally takes.

It also stores 30 of my favorite loads (listing cartridge,bullet weight, powder, and powder weight) and can just be programmed to throw any desired weight at any time by just hitting the numbers and then Enter!

While dispensing, I tried seating bullets and vibrating the bench to see if I could get the scale or the dispenser to flutter and it absolutely never cared. Other electronic scales I have used before never worked with this kind of disturbance. The 1500 scale has a "stable" indicator on the LCD display and if the arrow is pointing to it, nothing can make it lose zero or flutter around.

The footprint of the machine is small and straightforward leaving tons of room to work with. It also has the scale in front for easy access which allows the powder hopper drain to be on the side for easy removal of the powder.

All in all, I wish this unit had been around years ago. It is a tad pricey (259-299) but it will pay for itself in time saved in only a few loading sessions. I rate it a 10 on a RCBS scale of 10-(10)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GG your dead on!! The new RCBS is stated to be faster than my Lyman 1200 dps II and it sure beats the heck out of hand weighing each charge. I let the Lyman do the work for me. I use the pan my beam is calibrated for on the DPS so all I have to do is set the Lyman for the load I want then transfer it to the beam for a double check whenever I want to. It saves a lot of time out of weighing powder that I can put into shooting and that makes for a happier me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have been enjoying mine since christmas and have gained a lot of faith in it's accuracy! I have been recomending them both RCBS , and Lyman ever since!
They truely are great additions to a reloading bench for beginners and pro's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now all you need to do is get another powder pan and make it and the one that came with the unit the same weight. This way you can have one getting powder dispensed in it while you are dumping the other into a case.
Talk about making loading fast!

Can you set your manual powder dumper to dump 90 grains +/- in the pan then place the pan on the electronic powder dispenser to finish up the remaining difference for 100 grains exactly or do you have to start with an empty pan every time?

4ked you can help it along if you desire by scooping extra powder in while it runs and it will finish it off. On my big RUM loads sometimes I scoop a little in once it starts dispensing to speed it up if I'm in a hurry. WHat I normally do since I have 3 powder pans is dispense a load (double check if desired) charge the case then set it back under the dispenser hit enter again for it to start then seat my bullet in that case and depending on load size it will be waiting on me most of the time when I finish seating. The big 90+ grain loads usually will be in the 70 to 80 grain range when I finish seating the bullet and I only wait 3 or 4 seconds for it to finish.

Well you guys have done it again. One more thing to put on me ol' list. Tsk tsk, when will it ever end? What's next? A machine that you dump your virgin brass in and they come out formed to your chamber, neck sized, trimmed, deburred mouth and flash hole and primed?

Where is that winning lottery ticket when you need it?

I hope that winning ticket is in my pocket!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Goodgrouper;
I have held off getting one of the new "autos" because my old one takes forever to dump a charge for the big boomers. My 338 takes 119 grains of powder and with the old units I can go eat dinner in the time it takes to meter the load out. How long does your new unit take to dump a load for your 338 Lapua for instance?
brassbender

Brassbender I'm no GG but the new RCBS is stated to be faster than my Lyman and for a 100 grain load of H-50 BMG it takes an average of 27 seconds start to finish doing it all on it's own. The new units are much faster than the older ones. My Lyman has 3 speeds one for the majority then once it gets to within 10 grains it slows down and then slows to trickle when it gets within 1 grain.

Hey goodrouper. Want to speed things along even more. Call RCBS and get another powder pan (plastic) When you get it...Shave off plastic to make sure it's the exact weight as the other one you have. Now this is what you do.

After hitting Dispense and the unit finishes up the powder drop and reads stable. Take your powder filled pan off the scale, replace it with the spare pan and hit dispense again. While it's doing it's thing, take the first pan with the powder and dump it into your empty case. By the time your done, the next pan is ready with another load. Just keep doing that and you have made the process even faster.

This is how I rum mine and love it. I liked your review, it was spot on this great scale.

(EDIT) Just noticed gonehuntingagain does the same thing.
Joe

When they come out with the "horn of plenty" powder dispenser then I'll buy one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GG-- you are about the 15ht person I have seen with the same reaction after reading that article -- mebbe someone will get me one for my birthday next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Grouper,
Excellent review, now one thing... What do I do with my virtually previous system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I saw the new system at the SHOT show and was completely impressed, and ticked because I had bought the original one a year or so ago. I rarely use it because the **** scale is so slow to setup and also I have to get out the instruction manuals for the scale and the powder dispenser each time and start from scratch. When the older system is cranked up it works nicely but they certainly improved with the new one.
Thanks again for good info.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.