Wyoming whitetail trophy

A lot of the big racked whitetails I have seen in WY are in the North East, Hullet and Sundance to the state border. Always on someone's private hay field during hunting season.

Seen some biggins along the Greybull River near Meeteese. Area 165. I still see them when goose and duck hunting. I had permission to hunt 3 continuous properties , 10,000 acres until this year. They leased it out to another rancher. I had a 165 tag in 2019. It's good for Muley or Whitetail. It was a bad year. I didn't see and big whitetails . The mulies come off BLM onto Private. Go back early morning. Saw same buck a few times. Saw where they were coming and going up same canyon. I was going back home from the ranch and saw them crossing road and jumping fence into BLM heading for canyon. Last time I stopped and watched him he kept his head down going through sage. I got out of truck, he saw me and did the same thing ! Hoping I wouldn't see his antlers I'm sure. I shot from the fence post. Down he went. It was the day before end of season and I had to leave at 3am next morning for New Mexico. I gut him. Threw some snow inside him . Had a guy stop on road and help me get him in the truck. Didn't even skin him. Took him to meat locker. Apologized . Told them I rarely take anything to get cut up and never with hide on ! He said yours isn't frozen , that's nothing . Come look at this. He had 3 cow elk with hides on frozen solid laying on floor. I said oh man , that sucks . Next morning I was off to see my good buddies Rhett and Frank in N.M.. Shot a nice buck there also. Sorry for long story. I'm old and just ramble on....🙄

Last edited:
If you have ever hunted in Wy. they send it to you (non res) every year. Don't know if they still do. Other than that it's in mag racks all over in Wy. or at fish and game.
Pretty sure CO Shooter asking where I got the magazine from was an inside joke. He sent that particular copy to me some years ago when I shot a Non-Typical Whitetail that took a 2nd Place award. I had no idea and COshooter(Wesley) was kind enough to send a copy of the magazine to me!

Pretty sure CO Shooter asking where I got the magazine from was an inside joke. He sent that particular copy to me some years ago when I shot a Non-Typical Whitetail that took a 2nd Place award. I had no idea and COshooter(Wesley) was kind enough to send a copy of the magazine to me!
👍🏻

I've been hunting Region A outside of Hulett, since 2009. I don't get out as much as I would like, I try to go every other year. This is the biggest buck I ever seen. Neighbors property, not far off the line, but we already tagged out.

Attachments

• 1E6E277C-4BED-46BB-A7E4-1BBF781C6B8B.jpeg
    1E6E277C-4BED-46BB-A7E4-1BBF781C6B8B.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 7A83C0AD-D95F-4043-850B-833DADB6BAFB.jpeg
    7A83C0AD-D95F-4043-850B-833DADB6BAFB.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 74
I've been hunting Region A outside of Hulett, since 2009. I don't get out as much as I would like, I try to go every other year. This is the biggest buck I ever seen. Neighbors property, not far off the line, but we already tagged out.
The second pic looks like it has muley antlers and a white tail ? Picture blurry . Not sure. Maybe a hybrid . I've seen that before in Chugwater.

Last edited:
If you have ever hunted in Wy. they send it to you (non res) every year. Don't know if they still do. Other than that it's in mag racks all over in Wy. or at fish and game.
I hunted there years ago and I have never received a magazine like that

I hunted there years ago and I have never received a magazine like that
Maybe there's a certain amount of times you have to ? 🤔😉 I know I received it for many years straight but it was always the previous year's. Didn't know why. They probably stopped sending out to save money. They used to send non res regulations every year also. Not sure if they do that anymore either ?

The second pic looks like it has muley antlers and a white tail ? Picture blurry . Not sure. Maybe a hybrid . I've seen that before in Chugwater.
Looks like a whitetail to me……Has a typical main beam construct, and the body features are all whitetail. But the fuzzy picture, tallish rack, and that split G2 does give the immediate impression of a mule deer rack.

Looks like a whitetail to me……Has a typical main beam construct, and the body features are all whitetail. But the fuzzy picture, tallish rack, and that split G2 does give the immediate impression of a mule deer rack.
I looked again . It is coming off his main beam. Good eye. Or maybe my bad eye 😳

There are some quality whitetails in Wyoming. But it is now about impossible to hunt both a whitetail buck and a mule deer buck the same year unless you are a resident.

Folks are right, eastern WY is the place for a good whitetail. We took five whitetail hunters last year and three of the bucks were 160 or better. All of the bucks were 5X5 or better. Access on most private land is limited and the quality bucks are generally on private land. The Black Hills are a fun and great place to hunt, with good deer numbers. But the quality on the public land there is not usually comparable to what you'll find on well-managed private land.

Whitetail licenses are often easy to get, zero points will often get you drawn.

Best of luck and stack upa big one.

There are some quality whitetails in Wyoming. But it is now about impossible to hunt both a whitetail buck and a mule deer buck the same year unless you are a resident.

Folks are right, eastern WY is the place for a good whitetail. We took five whitetail hunters last year and three of the bucks were 160 or better. All of the bucks were 5X5 or better. Access on most private land is limited and the quality bucks are generally on private land. The Black Hills are a fun and great place to hunt, with good deer numbers. But the quality on the public land there is not usually comparable to what you'll find on well-managed private land.

Whitetail licenses are often easy to get, zero points will often get you drawn.

Best of luck and stack upa big one.
Right on the money 👍🏻