• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB Savage 300 Rem Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushwackr

HI all

I already found another remington to get but I would prefer a savage 116 in 300 rum. I figured I would put a feeler out here for a while before I get the other. Does anyone have a savage for sale.

A member here offered one before and be darned if I can find the message again

bushwackr

You are probably aware that Savage stopped selling any 300 RUMs some years ago. This happened when they changed to the center feed magazines in which the RUMs won't fit.

You could do what I did which is buy a new Savage and swap the barrel out for a 300 RUM barrel. You can buy pre fit barrels ready to install from several places. Mine is very accurate - and I used a small shank surplus factory barrel. I was pretty surprised that it was that good - but that only lasts for 15 shots and then you have to clean it. I don't mind all that much since I only paid $100 for the barrel and it only takes one shot to kill something. It is also a single shot since the mag is a new model DBM that was for a 270 Win. Good luck.

My concern is can I build one to make a functioning repeater, I was thinking the savage target action, change bolt head and run as a single shot, but it will more than likely not eject a live round

bushwackr

Since the Savage actions are not controlled feed you could probably get a live round out of the action buy letting it fall loose and then tipping it out of the action. I just now tried this using a 300 RUM cartridge with 210 Berger loaded to a COAL of 3.800". I used my Savage LRP in 260 Rem which uses the target action for the test. I put the round as far up the chamber as I could and then tilted the rifle to get it back out. No problem. Good to know. I may want to build an Edge (you can buy a large shank stainless Edge barrel, including muzzle break, from McGowen barrels for $517).

OK thats good to know, I have to decide if I want to deal with the single shot for a hunting rifle. Hmmm. Crossing my fingers I can find a large shank 116 ultra

bushwackr

There is an easy way to find out if you can handle a single shot hunting rifle. Ask yourself how many times you needed more than one shot to kill something. In my case it is never so I don't have a real problem with my single shot 300 RUM. (By the way, even with a single shot, you can get another one into the tube pretty fast.)

I have a long action with varmint contour 300 RUM Douglas barrel. Custom muzzle brake, gun was assembled by a gunsmith. 76 rnds fired shoots great. You can load 200gr accubonds to fit the mag and they shoot good, it uses some of the powder capacity. I have been single loading 208 Amax's .010 off jam mostly. It's in a Boyds black varmint stock, has a rifle basics trigger, some brass dies etc. Please email me if interested. [email protected]

I have a long action with varmint contour 300 RUM Douglas barrel. Custom muzzle brake, gun was assembled by a gunsmith. 76 rnds fired shoots great. You can load 200gr accubonds to fit the mag and they shoot good, it uses some of the powder capacity. I have been single loading 208 Amax's .010 off jam mostly. It's in a Boyds black varmint stock, has a rifle basics trigger, some brass dies etc. My suppressor is rated to 300 win mag so I am downsizing to be able to use this can. Please email me if interested. [email protected]

I'm not sure if you are just looking for a stripped gun or a complete set-up, but I've got a factory savage 116 300 RUM. I don't really want to get rid of it as I've been collecting pieces for a long range set-up for a couple of years and I haven't even shot it yet. It is a low round count (as per the previous owner) factory gun with what I would call a heavy varmint contour barrel with factory close-able muzzle brake sitting in a bvss stock (needs bedded). I want to say it was a custom ordered circa 2004-2006. It has the round back receiver and accutriger but has the older style stagger feed blind magazine. I've accumulated somewhere around 200 once-fired brass and around 1000 215g berger bullets. It has a ken farrell 20 MOA base and matching medium rings with a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 ER/T scope with M1 turrets. Scope has mounted to it a Defensive Edge anti-cant bubble level and angle cosine indicator.

I really don't want to sell it, but I've located a pretty good deal on a custom 338 Edge and would only consider selling this rig to get that one.

I'm still on the fence with this, but shoot me a PM if you want and we can discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.