• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

WTB Help

Nevrsummr

Looking for recommendations on a hunting scope. Having a custom rifle built snd would like to put a good scope on it. Heres the basics of what im looking for:

Around 3-18 power, wouldnt consider anything higher than 3 for the low end, but lower is fine. I hunt brushy areas at times and have had higher power scopes cost me shot opportunities.

I also hunt open country so looking for something long range capable that dials and tracks well. Elevations vary greatly so having a custom dial may cause problems with that? Wondering if just standard turrets are better, or intrigued by Swarovski BT if that adjusts easily for change in elevations.

I dont plan on shooting past 600 yds at animals but i will at steel.

Also its a lightweight package so heavy nightforce and razors are out.

Want zero stops. And i like reticles similar to b&c leupold or 4w or brh swaro, something that gives you quick references without needing to dial.

Interested in recommendations and why you reccomend them. Also ready to buy.

Thanks in advance

I have went to Leupold VX-5 3x15x44mm on 3 of my primary hunting rifles. Extremely bright & clear scope with side focus & not too heavy. I have went back to duplex reticle to clear scope clutter & use a CDS dial. But they may make this model with a B&C type reticle - not sure. I have used Nikons, Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell Elite's, various Leupold's & a Z5 Swarovski. All were very good hunting scopes - but I like the VX5 best.

I put a vx5hd 3-15x44 w/ b&c on my wifes rifle and so far i am happy with it. Havent tested tracking. Vx6hd is definitely on my radar.

Only ever used moa so i would probably stick with that. Would love recommendation on ffp vs sfp for hunting

Only ever used moa so i would probably stick with that. Would love recommendation on ffp vs sfp for hunting
You'll get tons of disagreement on FFP vs SFP but I (having had several of each kind) personally prefer the SPF for hunting. I don't use my reticle for ranging (which is a major function of the FFP). If you get a B&C type reticle and use it vs dialing up, you'll simply have to use the prescribed power (usually top end) to ensure your drops are compatible. If you are having to use holdovers due to distance, you'll most likely be on your higher power settings anyway.
I too have moved several of my go-to rifles to the Leupold VX5 HD CDS (3-15x44) scopes. These are very clean, slim, light(ish) scopes that scratch my itch. I use the Firedot version.

Where does the V6 fall in zeiss lineup? Looks like its around 1700 ? I do like the reticles they offer
Nothing wrong with the Zeiss V6. I just happen to think the Leupold is a better buy and I like the illuminated Firedot reticle all for less $$ than the Zeiss. If however, you really like the V6 reticles, that's important. Go with which one looks best for you.

Looking for recommendations on a hunting scope. Having a custom rifle built snd would like to put a good scope on it. Heres the basics of what im looking for:

Around 3-18 power, wouldnt consider anything higher than 3 for the low end, but lower is fine. I hunt brushy areas at times and have had higher power scopes cost me shot opportunities.

I also hunt open country so looking for something long range capable that dials and tracks well. Elevations vary greatly so having a custom dial may cause problems with that? Wondering if just standard turrets are better, or intrigued by Swarovski BT if that adjusts easily for change in elevations.

I dont plan on shooting past 600 yds at animals but i will at steel.

Also its a lightweight package so heavy nightforce and razors are out.

Want zero stops. And i like reticles similar to b&c leupold or 4w or brh swaro, something that gives you quick references without needing to dial.

Interested in recommendations and why you reccomend them. Also ready to buy.

Thanks in advance
I have a VX6 B&C I would gladly sell you. Illuminated. 3x18x50 Very sharp optics. Any of the magnum 7 or 30 if you sight 3 inches high at a 300 will be 4 high at 2, on at 3, down about 8 at 4, 2 feet at 6 and 4 ft at 6. Not exact but close. This scope has low caps but you could put turrets on it if you want. Just not my cup of tea.